Migration to new site, don't see old data

Migration to new site, don't see old data

by Kim Solis -
Number of replies: 17

Ok, let me see if I can explain my situation rather concisely...

We recently migrated to a new host.  I have installed moodle 3.3.6 (trying to avoid the problems we had when we tried to upgrade our original 3.4.1 to 3.4.3 because of the whole antilope to barracuda debacle.)(this is what crashed our site and due to administrator problems, we decided to scrap it all and start anew on our own with a new host.  But then our ex-administrator decided to give us our old data.)  I really need to access that old data so I can at least make backups of the courses.

So back to what I have done,  I installed moodle 3.3.6

I then imported both the moodledata and the database from our old site.

I have checked the config.php to see that it has the new URL, db info and roots and everything appears to be in order.

However, when I go the new moodle URL, I see moodle with our original theme colors, and it looks promising.  But, when I log in, everything reverts to the default theme and colors and there is nothing that resembles our original site and none of the courses are there or anything.

What am I missing?

I have to say this is my first go at server administrator and I am extremely new.  Any advice, please, needs to be explained in the "moodle for dummies" kind of terms.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kim Solis

Re: Migration to new site, don't see old data

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This hinges on what *exactly* you mean by "imported"?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Kim Solis -
I had to ask the host to import my sal file into the new database because

it was too large for me to import, so I am not sure how they did it.

And In my cpanel file manager I chose import from the new moodledata

folder, chose my moodledata backup and then extracted it. I don’t

understand, was that not what i was supposed to do?

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 5:43 AM Howard Miller (vía Moodle.org) <
In reply to Kim Solis

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There's no need to create a working new site and then try to "import" (I use the term very loosely) the data from your old site. The database needs to 'replace' the new database (which is why there was no point actually installing the newer version of Moodle in the first place). 

So... if your hosting company took you literally and simply imported the old data over the top of the new then you have a broken site. They needed to completely delete the 'new' database first. 

Exactly the same story for 'moodledata'. Don't copy the files over the top. Replace the whole structure entirely. 

But, as I said, it probably comes down to exactly what they did.

by Kim Solis -
Oh!  Thanks. So how can I fix it? Do I delete everything including moodle

and then create an empty database, and have them put out data in it, copy

our moodledata to a new moodledata folder

And then install moodle??

Thanks so much for your patience!

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 8:06 AM Howard Miller (vía Moodle.org) <
In reply to Kim Solis

by Howard Miller -

Did you read - Moodle_migration ?

It's all explained in some detail there. If anything doesn't make sense - please just ask.

However, basically yes!  There's no need to delete the Moodle code. Just leave that alone (it doesn't change during installation). 

by Kim Solis -
You know, I did. And now that I analyze things, I see where I strayed. I

stared at step one and creates the database. Since I was waiting for the

host to copy my files into the database, and for our ex-administrator to

give me the moodledata dile, I somehow figured that I could go ahead with

step 3- the moodle installation. However, when I did that, I got confused.

I saw that the installation created a database and moodledata file and

suddenly I thought that I was supposed to use those files Instead of the

one I created.

So anyway, I understand my error and I appreciate you taking the time to

show me what should have already been obvious.

I am going to try again and I’ll let you know what happens

Our backups were made with moodle 3.4.1. But since we are with a new host

Can I just go straight to 3.5?

Thanks again

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 9:57 AM Howard Miller (vía Moodle.org) <
In reply to Kim Solis

by Howard Miller -

You can copy your 3.4.1 moodledata and database files and use the 3.5 moodle code. Moodle will recognise the older database and automatically upgrade to 3.5. Please make sure that you either have backups or do not delete the original version until the backup is successful - just in case!

by Kim Solis -
Thanks, Howard, so much. My database is still in antelope. Should I convert

it to barracuda before linking it to moodle 3.5?

Boy, you didn’t know what you were getting yourself into when you answered

my forum, did you. Again, thanks for your patience. You have no idea how

much you have helped me!

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 4:46 PM Howard Miller (vía Moodle.org) <
In reply to Kim Solis

by Howard Miller -

I think so. 

However, if it lets you upgrade (I think it will) then it won't hurt. 

by Kim Solis -
That should have said sql file, not sal file

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 5:43 AM Howard Miller (vía Moodle.org) <
In reply to Kim Solis

by Kim Solis -

Wow... what an adventure. 

Hurdle number one:  CONQUERED.

I was able to load our old moodle code (version 3.4.1) and connect it to our database and moodle data backups.  We're in!  Old users, courses, everything!  In our colors and theme!  Amazing!

BUT... for some reason we are in a forced upgrade to 3.4.3

And I get the following errors:

php_settingopcache.enable

El cacheo de opcodes de PHP mejora el desempeño y disminuye los requisitos de memoria. Se recomienda y se soporta completamente la extensión OPcache.

Revisar
oops, I forgot, my site is in Spanish.  But it is the error about enabling opcache.

and then I also get three errors at the bottom of the page.

mysql_full_unicode_support#Large_prefix

unsupported_db_table_row_format

site not https

I am working on the unsupported_db_table... error with the changes to barracuda.

The site is not https but I can possible fix that too.

But how do I fix the opcache and the mysql_full_unicode problems?

It says I have to solve these problems in order to complete the installation.

Thanks again!

In reply to Kim Solis

by Howard Miller -

by Kim Solis -
Thanks. I did already read both the documents you mentioned. In the case of

the MySQL it seems it might be solved with the conversion to barracuda.

I don’t get the opcache one, though. In the php.ini file I don’t see any of

the settings mentioned.  I have php7.1 and chose opcache in its settings

but I don’t know how to get it to show up in the php.ini.

Do I just add zend_extension=/full/path/to/opcache.so

In php.ini at the bottom of what I see in order to add the extension? And

how do I know the path?

I also read about using easyapache to install opcache through cpanel but I

don’t have easyapache in my cpanel.

I’ve spent hours researching what to do and still am stumped. Have sent

another note to our host support but while very willing to help, they are

not very knowledgeable about moodle. I hope these are general issues they

can help me solve.

Or any other advice?

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 2:29 AM Howard Miller (vía Moodle.org) <
In reply to Kim Solis

by Howard Miller -

If the settings aren't there then just add them. Remember to re-start your web server after doing this. Enabling Opcache for PHP is not Moodle specific at all.

If that doesn't fix it then the extension may be missing from PHP on your server. Fixing that depends on what operating system it was and how PHP was installed. 

However, opcache is a recommendation. It is not required. 

by Kim Solis -
It’s funny that these errors are said to be recommendations but the

installation will not

Advance if I don’t fix them. It simply keeps returning to the same page

with the errors and I cannot do anything else.

I cannot log in or do anything.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 6:10 AM Howard Miller (vía Moodle.org) <
In reply to Kim Solis

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Let's start with the "forced upgrade" - this would only happen if you have downloaded the code for 3.4.3 and replaced your moodle code with it.  Depending on your host, this might be something they did (please tell us that you didn't just use the host moodle "installer" - we never quite know what those do....)

As for your error messages, it is probably the database part that is stopping you.  Hopefully your new host allows unicode support (many don't).  This is something that is going to need to be fixed so I would start there.  You should be able to adjust it yourself in phpmyadmin/variables section.  Just search for antelope and switch those settings to barracuda.  

If it continues to give you fits, you could always just download the 3.4.1 code and replace your existing moodle code with it, copying over any plugins and your config.php file.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Kim Solis -

Thanks so much for responding, Emma.

I think you are right, I think the upgrade was something the old host started and got stuck with and then passed it on to us with the moodle code file. 

And again, you are right... it seems the problem was with the database.  The good thing is we have a great hosting company with amazing support guys.  The guy that helped me was super patient and willing to do all sorts of things that I just don't have access to do.  

He was willing to change antelope files to barracuda and then we battled with the mySql prefix and php Opcache problems for over an hour on the phone.  I sent him the moodle documentation and we tried to make sense of it together.   He had to make some changes at the server level (which I am amazed and thankful that he was willing to do it) and finally the mySql deal was solved.  The OPcache problem was the last and we changed the php from 7.1 to 7 (I think he even had to change the php version of the entire server) (at first it didn't work, but then when I spotted an area that the change hadn't taken effect and was able to change it there) and Bam!  It suddenly solved that problem....

The final problem of the http to https issue was, after all - like Howard said, just a suggestion because the upgrade advanced and I was able to complete it.

Whew!  What a challenge this has been.  But I am grateful for the help I received here and from others who were willing to take the time to explain things in laymen's terms.  Moodledocs and moodle.org forums were really critical in my success.  Thanks!

I do have one more issue, if someone wants to comment.  

I have now done three moodle installations.

1.  New with code obtained from moodle.org

2. Our old moodle code (which I believe was obtained from moodle.org)

and 3.  a moodle experiment that I installed from the host that I have since deleted.

Both 1 and 2 have cron issues where the cron is not running (I have an error in the notifications that says that the cron hasn't been run in 24 hours)

But when I had the installation that was from the host (which I gather is not the best option), I had no problems with the cron because there is part of the installation that sets it up.

I have figured out how to run the cron manually with a password for both moodle sites, so that isn't such an issue right now... but it is a problem I will need to solve sooner than later.

Any tips on that?  Should I start a new forum now, or if someone wants to send me a personal message, that would be great!