Teacher can edit one course but not another (same role assignments)

Teacher can edit one course but not another (same role assignments)

by Conn Warwicker -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

We're having a very strange issue which I can't work out, and which is becoming increasingly urgent.

We have teachers enrolled onto 2 different courses, on one of the courses they have edit/add activities, on the other they cannot.

To summarise:

• Same user is enrolled to both courses in the same role - teacher (Exercise Manager)
  • Both courses are in the same category
  • Both courses are visible
  • When checking the permissions on the course, both only have the user as Exercise manager on that course and Authenticated user in system, yet their 'course:manageactivities' permission is different
  • The category doesn't have any special permissions set
  • It's the same for the other teacher enrolled on both courses
  • We have customised the role permissions, but its working fine on one course, so don't see why it wouldn't on the other?

Here's a screenshot of the permissions check on both courses, with the same user:

ss

As you can see, on the first they have the permission, on the second, they don't.

We have both courses as templates in another category, which we then restore into a new course in a new client's category, and add users to. There are no enrolments or special permissions on the template courses, before they are restored into a new one, so I don't think that would have anything to do with it, but I could be wrong.

We are hosted elsewhere, so I do not have access to the database to check what is happening in there, or upload/change any code to test things.

I'm utterly lost at the moment.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Conn Warwicker

Re: Teacher can edit one course but not another (same role assignments)

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

The only thing I can think of is possibly that the Manager can manage a course, but not edit it...is that possible? Would adding the Teacher Role in the second course help? 

Is it also possible to create a small course, assign the Teacher role to those people. Back the course up and restore it and all Roles inside the course they can't edit. This may get around a restriction but I have no idea how to replicate this issue, so can't test it.   

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Conn Warwicker -

I'm yet to find out what's actualyl causing this. We're creating the courses for clients based on template courses, restoring them into new ones in a new category, and I think there's something on the template causing the issue.

I've found that going to Course Admin -> Reset -> Reset Course Overrides, fixes it, so something being imported from the template course, has a course override. But I've tried importing just activities, I've even tried doing a restore with nothing ticked, just a blank restore from the template and the issue still arises, so there is something hidden on that template which is overriding the permissions for the teacher role.

In reply to Conn Warwicker

by Conn Warwicker -

Resolved it in the end. One of the template courses had some role permission overrides, which were getting copied across every time we made a new version of it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)