Status indicator light for moodlebox on raspberry pi 3b+

Status indicator light for moodlebox on raspberry pi 3b+

by Cade Dopp -
Number of replies: 6

I installed a power button for my moodlebox on a raspberry pi 3b+ by following instructions listed here.

I would also like to install a status indicator light so teachers can see when moodle is running or not, so they don't try to power it on when it is already on, or off when it is already off. I tried using the txd pin on the pi as discussed here. The status indicator LED turns on for a few seconds while the pi turns on, and then the light turns off.

Any suggestions on how to get a status light working? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cade Dopp

Re: Status indicator light for moodlebox on raspberry pi 3b+

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have no idea...

I've seen next to no discussion about moodlebox in these forums so, unfortunately, you may well be asking this in the wrong place. 

In reply to Cade Dopp

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Cade,

When you made your LED, did you also add code to control it so that it lights the way you want it to?

Have you seen the Pimoroni Blinkt! for the Raspberry Pi? Gives you seven LED's and there are a number of code examples for making it produce various displays.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Cade Dopp -

I didn't add any code, I was under the impression the using the TDX pin would work without code.

In reply to Cade Dopp

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Nope, sorry. In the link you mention, in the second entry, needing a script is mentioned. TXD is short for transmit data. In other words, you can control the blink of an LED connected to it by "transmitting" data.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Cade Dopp

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
MoodleBox originating from the West part of Switzerland is somewhat French biased. You might have ping the developer https://moodle.org/user/profile.php?id=6406.
;)

You said:
> I tried using the txd pin on the pi as discussed here. The status indicator LED turns on for a few seconds while the pi turns on, and then the light turns off.

You mean a LED of your own connected to the GPIO, right? The power LED soldered to the board should behave as expected.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Cade Dopp -

Yes, I mean the LED of my own connected to the GPIO.