A starndardized quiz to benchmark a Moodle installation?

A starndardized quiz to benchmark a Moodle installation?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi all

Has anybody tried answering the question "What is the size of the largest class my Moodle site can serve an on-line exam simultaneously?" through real simulation?

Basically, the same (standardized) quiz will be taken by a variable number of candidates during a variable time period - kind of ramping up - until the response time becomes unacceptable. Has any such thing been documented?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: A starndardized quiz to benchmark a Moodle installation?

Ping!

There is no such data set or is the question unclear?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What is a standard quiz? Is your exam multiple choice quetions, Essays, or something advanced like STACK or CodeRunner. You are really much better load-testing with a quiz like your real one will be, and the work to make such a quiz will be trivial compared to doing the testing.

From reading these forums over the years, I have seen reports of people successfully running quizzes with hundreds of users at the same time.

When I was load-testing our quiz install, we simulated over 1000 users, but our live load never got that high.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Hi Tim

I feared that there is no such thing. Thanks for confirming.

To your questions:
> You are really much better load-testing with a quiz like your real one will be, and the work to make such a quiz will be trivial compared to doing the testing.

I have plenty of real quiz questions. That is not the problem. But for two people to compare the quiz performance of their Moodles, they need to take the same quiz! I was talking of a common/neutral quiz. I see various data sets coming from moodlenet, the Moodle MOOC, etc. waned to be sure, that i don't duplicate work.

> From reading these forums over the years, I have seen reports of people successfully running quizzes with hundreds of users at the same time.

I am not interested in getting the maximum number of quiz candidates at any (resources) cost, rather getting the maximum from modest resources. And to have quantitative results.

> When I was load-testing our quiz install, we simulated over 1000 users, but our live load never got that high.

I bet, you had big iron! As I said above, my idea is to compare smaller iron - quantitatively.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Actually, the system where I tested to 1000 simulated users was fairly moderate. 2 web servers and one database server. All VMs. I can't remember how many cores or RAM, but it was not excessive.

We did use Postgres database, which has always been good at simultaneous writes. I am not sure how good MySQL is in comparison. Probably better these days than in the past.

Anyway, if you get some numbers for what your hardware can do, I will be very interested to see them.