Default course setting for Weekly format

Default course setting for Weekly format

by Harold Yung -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

In Moodle 3.4, I find a wonderful option "Calculate the end date from the number of sections" for Weekly format course. This option really can solve my facing big problem.

Option for calculating course end date

My problem is many teachers reported the course disappear suddenly in the middle of semester. Actually, my teachers always misunderstand the new overview and also the calculation of course end date for Weekly Format in Moodle 3.3. Their course have lack of weeks and so the course end date become before the real "end date". We do many document and promotion to talk about this but really really not work!

My suggestion is Moodle can improve to let this option be a Default course setting. I prefer to set default as False and teacher must actively tick it to enable the function. It is better than default True which let many teachers ignore this option but still add wrong number of weeks (sections).

Is it possible?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Harold Yung

Re: Default course setting for Weekly format

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

You may want to go and have a look at this discussion, in another forum, by Chris Kenniberg, it's called 3 Ways to Stop Blended Learning In its Tracks.

The comments there are useful for discussion on how you may be able to approach people who complain about how they do the wrong thing. They blame their tools, Moodle, rather than accept responsibility for their errors and learn how to do it better. I know, I am being very harsh here, but I would expect that their courses are their responsibility, and it is up to them to make sure it works properly. If you are using Weekly Format, then an end date is almost mandatory, I have not run into this problem before, mainly because people work out their timings beforehand using a calendar, I suspect.