Having an issue with attendance and grading worried i have to start over

Having an issue with attendance and grading worried i have to start over

by Jeff Clifton -
Number of replies: 7

hello,

i am creating a site for a non profit i teach at using MoodleCloud as the host

we offer certifications in 5 areas where i set them up at "Categories" for each cert.

within each category there are about 6 to 10 courses that can be taught by different instructors.

some courses last 2 - 3 days while others are a few weeks.

I'm looking to have one attendance schedule for a category per cohort  as there are 3 separate cohorts that attend at different times.  one class is 2 days a week another is 3 days and the other is 5 days.  and at times these overlap 

each course in the category is graded separately and i would like to have an attendance grade for each course as well as a running total for the category 

but all grades need to be separate for each course 

the only way i can think of having this work out for me is to rewrite all the courses into one course and have what i have not as courses in separate topics. but i have no idea if that will give separate grades for that and would hate to redo all this and have the reverse issue im having with attendance.

i hope this makes sense to someone as i have exhausted my youtube resources and anything that comes close to help is from older versions of moodle.

thank you in advance,

Jeff

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Clifton

Re: Having an issue with attendance and grading worried i have to start over

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

OK, but you are falling into the trap of trying to use Moodle as a Student Management System, so be careful. Moodlecloud does not offer the Attendance plugin so you may have to be a little more clever. I might look at the database activity. Perhaps each student has to enter a code for the day that shows they attended that class for that day. The code can be calculated by a random number  multiplied by the lesson number and the student's birthday. Doesn't matter what it is, as long as they enter the correct number. Perhaps a conditional activity they must complete for each class, I am sure you can think of any number of other ways they have to show an actual response that they entered that course at that time. If it is missing then they did not attend. 

A second trap is to over-think things out. Break your problems into parts and solve each part individually, If a problem can't be solved this way then rethink the problem so it has more than one facet so it can. See if you can apply a simpler solution to each part. Remember, simpler does not mean simplistic.   

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Jeff Clifton -

Sorry for any confusion i am actually using Moodle for school.  that has the attendance plugin

In reply to Jeff Clifton

by James Steerpike -

I am not sure what you mean by attendance if it is an online class.

I have just started using head counts at class start and entering the results in the Moodle system. Even so, I have to watch out for bathroom breaks where students don't return to class.

On an online system it is worse. Is someone who logs in and then spends the day watching Youtube attending? I would be wary of putting too much time into something so easily gamed.

Maybe you are constrained by your organization. I think if I have to check attendance, I would have something like assignments requiring a simple response several times a day, with a point gained if responded to within 10 minutes. Low points means low attendance.

In reply to James Steerpike

by Jeff Clifton -

this is in a brick and mortar classroom setting. 

In reply to Jeff Clifton

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

OK, my thought was it is all on line, but blended is good. Under those circumstances, does it matter when they complete the activities? Can they do them at school or at home, or anywhere in between? For this kind of blended learning you may want to look at both restricting access (conditional activities) and completion tracking to find out whether they are actually doing the work. Very few courses are single topic, but each topic often requires an assessment of some type. The appearance of the next topic is conditional on achieving a completed quiz or a manual grade for an assignment that then opens the next topic. Completion data is activated by using the completion tracking plugin and anyone not completed is just not going to get the grade. People who  do the work are achieving, those who are not are pretty obvious fairly quickly. 

In reply to Jeff Clifton

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

i think we're having trouble understanding exactly what you're trying to report on:

is this it?

each course contains an attendance activity.
You want to report on "category" level attendance filtered by cohorts - eg for all courses in Category "Certification 1" show me attendance for all users in cohort "2 days a week"

If so - that's not something that is currently available. Attendance reporting is at the attendance activity level - site-wide/category wide reporting is not currently possible without development or custom sql reporting tools (which are not available on the moodlecloud sites.)

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Jeff Clifton -

Sorry for late reply  but that is what i was trying to do smile 

just did not know how to word it .

so now im redoing the classes  as 

Category : Certified  Clinical Medical Assistant

Course: CCMA

Topics: = Modules or chapters   

Assignments: per Module.

Now the question is...  will i be able to populate a grade  per individual "Topic"  ?

Module one ;  3 assignments; attendance; through a 4 day class  = Grade

Module two;   8 Assignments; attendance, through a 2 week class. not counting the attendance from Module one to get  the Grade?

which would allow me to get a total Course Attendance Grade but worried i will have an issue using the attendance per Topic.

Sorry if still confusing