Bulk enroll students Moodle 3.4.2

Bulk enroll students Moodle 3.4.2

by Oualid Burström -
Number of replies: 8

I am using Moodle 3.4.2.

I have a list of 250 students in a CVS file and I want to enroll them by importing the file somewhere in the admin page.

But I don't know where in the admin page I can do a bulk enrollment, I can't find it.

Any idea?

/Oualid

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Oualid Burström

Re: Bulk enroll students Moodle 3.4.2

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Qualid, relax and look at the menus, they have change a bit with v3.4 and if you are using an odd theme, then they may be different again. If you go to Site Admin > Users > Accounts > Upload Users you should see a drag'n'drop dialog there to drop your csv file into. 

If you can't see Site Admin, then log in as an Administrator, or get someone to do so and upgrade your Role to an Administrator.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Oualid Burström -

Thank you for the answer.

I am administrator and I know how to upload users in the system according to https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Upload_users.

But I don't find where to bulk enroll students from a CSV file. 

In the documentation (https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Bulk_enrolments) they say: In the Settings block on your course, under Course administration, click Users > Bulk enrolments.

But there is no such menu.

/Oualid

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 09.02.54.png

by Colin Fraser -

That image is in the wrong place.

Rethink: Are we talking about the same thing? The image says something very different to the way your initial question implies. Bulk uploading of students to enroll in courses is different than creating accounts. 

In your CSV file add in the fields role1, course1, course2, and so on. In those fields add the role the person is using then in the other fields the course names. The whole line will be something like: 

username,firstname,lastname,email,role1,course1,course2 and so on. 

The Role is mostly Student and the course names are the full course names. Then upload to where the first post suggests. Make sure that your Upload Type is set to:

Add new and update existing users 

creates a new user account for each new user in the upload file. If an existing user account with the same username is found, the account information is updated by the data in the uploaded file.

or

Update existing users only 

ignores any new users found in the upload file and updates the user account if a matching username record is found in the uploaded file.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Oualid Burström -

The problem is:

I have already students in the system, I imported them from a CSV file.

Now I want to enroll them.

I can do it manually by selecting each student and then enroll them. 

But I want to do it by using the function in the menu "Course administration > Users > Bulk enrolments" but there no such menu.

I can apply your solution instead.

Thanks.

/Oualid

by Colin Fraser -

mmm no hasn't been for a long time,  suspect. If you were looking ar Bulk User Action, that is something completely different and not relevant. AFAIK, this type of bulk enrolment is the only way to bulk enroll, unless a plugin has been developed for it....  

EDIT: Which is the plugin mentioned in Maya V's post below.... 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by José Aristov -

hi, im just a recently new person on moodle, and i was looking the option to bulk enrolments via CSV. i see a few threads about this, and i have to ask. Do you have some example of csv to use, to bulk enrolll users in a course, every try i do, the moodle give me this error 

error/moodle/csvfewcolumns

thanks 

by Mahatria Ra -

Hi,

Try this /admin/tool/uploaduser/index.php after you domain name or ip address(or  Site Admin > Users > Accounts > Upload Users) if you are able to see the page means you are having the Admin rights.Then go ahead with bulk user upload.

Thanks