Face to face (Totara) events - previous sessions showing to students

Face to face (Totara) events - previous sessions showing to students

by Amanda Leslie -
Number of replies: 3

Apologies for my lack of technical knowledge in this question - I've inherited a Moodle platform and have very little hands on experience. 

We're using 3.4 and have the Totara face to face plug in. I've received the following from one of my colleagues and not sure how to go about fixing the problem. I believe this is a new problem since updating to our current theme... (think it's "Boost" but don't know how to find out!)  Can anyone help?

"I'm looking at the Coordinating Centre's area under "Events".

All the Events are in the past (apart from the one I'm adding at the bottom) and have been hidden.  As an Administrator it shows you a purple label "hidden from students" - see pic1.

But if you go to the student view (really helpful by the way)  the courses aren't actually hidden - it just says they're unavailable which doesn't look great - see below.   Please is there a way of truly hiding these courses?  It will make the ones I'm adding much clearer.  (see pic2)

It would also be good if the unavailable courses showing on the homepage could be hidden instead of being greyed out (see pic 3)"

Thanks in advance

Attachment pic1.png
Attachment pic2.png
Attachment pic3.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amanda Leslie

Re: Face to face (Totara) events - previous sessions showing to students

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

So, first issue: hidden from students...you say this is about F2F but it isn't--it is really about the interaction between course settings, section settings and activity settings, ultimately, I'd guess.  In course settings, you can choose if something hidden from students is actually invisible or just unavailable.  The section setting is what is making the item unavailable, which is okay but if you really want it to disappear, you should probably hide the activity as well. I'm not really sure what the second item is showing--but it does say the item is unavailable...

Second issue: it doesn't look like these images were taken from student view.  I'm fairly confident this is true because the Manage courses button appears for you.  There is no real student view from the Admin perspective in categories.  Switching to student in a course applies to that course...not everything.   Switching to student can be helpful but sometimes you need to BE a student to see how it totally works.  Do you have a student account?  Or a test user account that only has authenticated user permissions?  Try enrolling the student account and logging with it to see what happens for the actual student.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Amanda Leslie -

Aah - that makes sense. We managed to get a friendly test student to check it and looks good. We also discovered that some of our problems were down to who we had enrolled on our course. Thank you so much for your help smile

In reply to Amanda Leslie

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

No worries.  Glad I could help.  Learning Moodle is a never ending process and sometimes F2F is...funny.  I've been using moodle since 2005, face to face since 2009...and I still learn something new almost every week.  Lately more as I moved from 2.8 to 3.3!  Good luck!