Email Confirmation with Attachment on Self Registration

Email Confirmation with Attachment on Self Registration

by Edmund Evangelista -
Number of replies: 4

I came across a feature that when users self-register in Moodle, they should receive an email confirmation with an attachment. The attachment could be a user guide manual in PDF format. Is there a way to customize and do this? Currently, Moodle simple sends an email confirmation with the standard text below, however, no attachment is provided.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edmund Evangelista

Re: Email Confirmation with Attachment on Self Registration

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

In standard Moodle, the confirmation email doesn't have an attachment. Are you referring to a plugin which provides extra functionality?

You could provide a user guide PDF on your site for users to download.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Edmund Evangelista -

Hi Helen, I am referring to the standard Moodle email confirmation when users self register at this page: /login/signup.php. Our client would like their Moodle to be customized, the email confirmation on self registration should include a PDF attachment. This attachment provides a user guide manual where newly registered users can read it ahead of time before they even login so that they don't freak when they started using Moodle. I want to modify the source code for this page, and I am hoping somebody might have done it previously.

In reply to Edmund Evangelista

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Edmund,

Without customizing Moodle, there is no way to include an attachment, such as a user guide, to the Moodle confirmation email. However, if you upload your user guide to your site, you could customize the message to include a link within the email so that users can download the PDF file.

Taking this one step further, consider creating a Moodle page where users could access the PDF user guide. Add analytics on the page and you will be able to tell if people are downloading it or if it is even worth while maintaining it.

Food for thought: If you email a PDF to a user, you can never update that copy of the PDF again unless you send them an updated PDF by email again. Updatable online help documentation, on the other hand, can be updated as required and made to be much more WCAG 2.0 accessible. Consider using a Moodle resources (like a Book) to make your documentation easier to access and maintain.

Hope you find some of this useful.

Best regards,

Michael Milete

In reply to Michael Milette

by Edmund Evangelista -
Wow you shared a brilliant idea to me. Instead of pushing myself to modify

the source code, i simply have to include the link on the automated email.

Cheers. You saved my day.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018, 7:50 AM Michael Milette (via Moodle.org) <