Moodle or WordPress?

Moodle or WordPress?

by Made Soma -
Number of replies: 3

Hi guys, 

I need your suggestion on which platform to use. I want to build a simple online language class. Some features I need are Video call with share screen (possibly using Skype), document sharing (google docs), flashcards with space repetition (like Anki), teacher booking system where students will be able to choose time depending on teacher's availability. 

I am familiar with WordPress, but I have never used e-learning-related plugins. I am a complete beginner in Moodle. I am wondering which platform is better for me in this stage? 

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Made Soma

Re: Moodle or WordPress?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Why not sign up for a free MoodleCloud site, which lets you have up to 50 users and included video conferencing and google doc sharing. There are ways to set up a booking system, even though there isn't a module included for it, and there are many different types of quiz questions  you can use. Then at least you have tried Moodle and can make a considered choice. (There are many free video tutorials available in this playlist  )

In reply to Made Soma

Re: Moodle or WordPress?

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Made, Wordpress is a content management system and with additional plug-ins you can use it as a learning management system as well, whilst Moodle on the other hand is a purpose built learning management system. you can use either, but do as well keep in mind your future requirements, as may be you need more features in delivering your content, that is where WordPress will become limited and with moodle I always use a phrase "possibilities are endless". Moodle when compared to WordPress is heavy in terms of server requirements but you can expect that from a proper learning management system as all additional plug-ins that comes with Moodle are all related to e-learning in one way or other. You can give a try to Moodle on MoodleCloud like Mary mentioned, as well you will be able to get trials for LMS plug-ins for WordPress, which ever suits your current as well as future requirements, give that a shot.