Moving from Wordpress to Moodle

Moving from Wordpress to Moodle

by Markus Tenghamn -
Number of replies: 7

I love writing simple guides and tutorials which I have been doing for a while now on my personal blog, markustenghamn.com, which is Wordpress based. I am now interested in moving to Moodle to get a bit serious about my writing. I would like to create full courses, both free and paid, to make this more than just a hobby.

What do you guys think is the best way to do this? Does Moodle work good as a front end to promote course material or should I be looking it a Wordpress front which then directs users to moodle when accessing the course material?

Really love moodle and would love any ideas, help and tips smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Markus Tenghamn

Re: Moving from Wordpress to Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Marcus - I am moving your post to the Comparisons and Advocacy forum where you will find a similar post made recently about Moodle versus Wordpress which might be helpful to you -it is here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=311352#p1246118

In reply to Mary Cooch

by john Simpson -

This is just my opinion, and others might think differently. When you attempt to search for moodle courses , in the majority of cases the moodle sites don't look very inviting for new potentially interested students, and they assume you are already a student member and ask for your name and password to login.

You definitely need some sort of website to promote your courses, and ensure you have your moodle site linked at your site, for new students to log onto. It doesn't have to be wordpress, but it should be a good site. In your case it should be wordpress, as that is what you are used to.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Markus Still WordPress is the CMS, Moodle an LMS. So as the front end to promote your courses WordPress is more suitable. The other question, is Moodle the right LMS for your courses, is much more difficult to answer. You are not asking that question, you are already testing Moodle, right? If you need the opinion here, you must provide detailed information about the kind of courses and the business model.

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Sunday, 24 May 2015, 7:34 AM)

by K Scott Huntley -

Hi Markus,

I'm a WordPress instructor and I use Moodle everyday. I am between both camps, and I'm sure some people from either side will find this heresy. But anyway...

I think often we get wrapped up looking for one tool that will do all jobs, and often we'll get a worse solution; anyone who's ever had to use a knife/spoon/fork all-in-one tool knows what I'm talking about.

WordPress is a fantastic CMS for blogs. Moodle is a fantastic LMS for your courses. I think you can use both together. 

How to use them together might take some time and experimentation. It could be as simple as adding a link on the respective menus to the other system. As for ecommerce, WooCommerce is a great plugin for WordPress, but you'll have to think about how you'll use it to enroll students. Or, you can use the PayPal enrollments and take care of it all on the Moodle side.

If you can't tell, I love both Moodle and WordPress and their communities. I think there's a use case for both.

Scott

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to K Scott Huntley

by CHIRAG SHETTY -

Hi,

You can integrate your moodle site with your WordPress site using Edwiser bridge plugin. It allows you to sell your courses as a product. This plugin acts as a bridge between your moodle site and your Wordpress site. You can import all your courses and manage them in your WordPress site. To know more about Edwiser bridge or to download it, visit here

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to K Scott Huntley

by Dan McGuire -

I've used both WP and Moodle for years. I agree with Scott. They each have strengths and there's no reason you can't use both very effectively at the same time.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)