incorrect grade book letter grades

incorrect grade book letter grades

by Ehsan Anwar -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

When using the A-F+- scale for any activity, when giving a student a mark through the grade book, the grade values are the opposite so giving an A grade actually gives the mark of F (screenshot 1 and 2) and giving an F grade actually gives the mark of A (screenshot 3+4).  Using the override to give a different grade makes no difference.   There are no additional calculations used and and the letters have their correct association marks (screenshot 6).  I did notice that when viewing the grade book setup, the max grade for the letters is F where i presume is should be an A (screenshot 7).  I'm not sure how to change this settings.  Can any shed any light on the issue?  is there a setting that can be changed or a bug with Moodle.

Regards

Ehsan

In reply to Ehsan Anwar

Re: incorrect grade book letter grades

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes the max grade is your problem.  You can change this under the assignment settings.  It is not that the gradebook is giving the opposite settings - it is that three of your activities have a max grade of 10 (which is an F) and the totals are averaging out.  You cannot put in Letter Grades as the grade, you need to enter a numerical value.

In reply to Ehsan Anwar

Re: incorrect grade book letter grades

by Michael Spall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Testers

Ehsan,

Scales need to be set up from low to high, for example: F,D,C,B,A. In this example F=0 and A=4. I am guessing that you might have entered the scale as A,A-,B+,B,B-,C+,C,C-,D+,D,F. Then the A would be equal to 0 and the F would be the highest grade 10. Swap that around to:

F,D,D+,C-,C,C+,B-,B,B+,A-,A