Delete Categories in Gradebook

Delete Categories in Gradebook

by Melanie Mornard -
Number of replies: 20

I blew it - when setting up the gradebook I mistakenly started adding activities instead of categories.  I can't seem to find how to delete the categories and then add the required activities into each category.  In other words how do I delete everything in the gradebook and then start over?  

I'm in the latest version of Moodle.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melanie Mornard

Re: Delete Categories in Gradebook

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There's no option to add "activities" in the Gradebook, only categories and "grade items". Both can easily be deleted...

So... I think we might be talking about two different things. Could we get a more detailed explanation or - even better - a picture of the page?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Melanie Mornard -

What I did was go into the gradebook and instead of adding categories like eLearning Module, Term Paper or Quiz I put the Topic names for the four topics I have in the course.  I can see how to delete activities in the gradebook, but not the category itself.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Make sure the dropdown is set to 'Gradebook setup' and the click 'Edit' next to the category. One of the options is to delete. And to prove it...

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 18.30.08.png

by Melanie Mornard -

This is what I'm seeing.  I see the Edit Settings and Hide, but Delete doesn't seem to be there.

What am I missing?

by Howard Miller -

It's definitely a category YOU created? Well, I mean.... 1.  are you sure it's a category and 2. it's definitely not the entry for an activity in the course? You can't delete those things. 

Is the category empty? You need to move any grade items out of the category before you can delete it. 

For example - 'LTU Test' in my image doesn't have a delete. It's the default category for the course.

Any chance of a similar screen grab from your site? Might help.

by Melanie Mornard -

Unfortunately I did create it - before I saw the video and realized what they were actually talking about.  I had thought each Topic would have a separate grading system rather than all quizzes in each of the topics going under one category - Quiz.  The names in the quiz book are the Titles of each of the Topics.  But the eLearning Modules I developed also had the same name so when I entered the Title thinking it was a category it entered the activity instead.   Here's a snap showing one of the Topics of my course.  You can see what happened.

Am I going to need to delete the course and start over?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Melanie, you forgot the screenshot.

Go into Grades, Setup, then take a screenshot.

Then drop down the edit on the category that you want to delete, and take a screenshot.

So, two screenshots, please.

If the category is really not a category but rather a grade item, you will not see a "delete" because you need to go back to where you defined the grade item and remove it from a category.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Melanie Mornard -

Not sure what you want Rick.  Is this it or do you need the whole page?  I did a screen shot of the second category page previously.

by Rick Jerz -

Melanie, you are not attaching screenshots, so until you do, (I) we probably won't be able to help.

by Howard Miller -

I'm almost certain there is some confusion about what is what here but I'm not seeing it. A picture of what you are seeing might get straight to the bottom of it. 

by Howard Miller -

I'm almost certain there is some confusion about what is what here but I'm not seeing it. A picture of what you are seeing might get straight to the bottom of it. 

by Melanie Mornard -

Sorry, Howard, I added a snip to the message box but it didn't post.  I've now put it in as an attachment.  Can you see it now?

Attachment Moodle Gradebook.PNG

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Melanie,

You are clicking the drop-down for the graded item (a SCORM activity I think). If you click the drop down for the category above, do you get the delete option?

Jon

Attachment Moodle Gradebook copy.png
In reply to Jon Witts

by Melanie Mornard -

No, Jon, I don't see a way to completely delete the Gradebook and start over.  I've added an attachment showing what I see when I click the Abuse Prevention edit.  You can see what I see when I click Legal Aspects in the attachment above.

Attachment Moodle Gradebook 2.PNG

by Howard Miller -

You can't delete those SCORM entries because they belong to Activities in the course. If you don't want them *at all* then you need to go back to the course page, switch editing on and completely delete the activity. For the avoidance of doubt you can NOT delete a grade item that links to an actual activity, only "grade items" that you added manually (in the Gradebook). 

There are no "categories" in that picture. Well, only the one for the course - which I assume is called "Abuse Prevention" and you can't delete that either.

I can only assume you are confused between the Gradebook and adding/deleting activities in the Course page. Generally speaking, you do not add or delete stuff in the Gradebook. That's advanced, "only if you know you need to" stuff. 

Am I helping? I'm not sure. 

by C Behan -

Just to add to this ... Melanie if you don't want your students to see these items in the gradebook, you can hide them individually. You will be able to see them in the gradebook but your student won't.

Another option would be to create a category, move some or all of your scorms in to that category, hide the category and give it a weight of 0.

You can hide the gradebook completely from students in the Course Settings if you don't want them to see it at all.

by Melanie Mornard -

Hi Howard - no, I'm not confused.  I knew I blew it as soon as I saw the Youtube video on setting up a gradebook.  What I'm trying to do is correct the error without having to delete the course and start over.  But it sounds like that's what I'm going to have to do.

by C Behan -

Hi Melanie,

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Can you explain what is your desired end result?

I doubt you've 'blown it' or that you'll need to delete your course to achieve it!

by Rick Jerz -

Hi Melanie, from your screenshot, I (like Howard) see that you have a course that contains SCORM activities.  If you don't want to see the SCORM activities you can either remove them as activities (exactly what Howard suggested) or Hide them, as C suggested.

The moodle grade book has a lot of flexibility, so there are many other options.  For example, you can create a new gradebook category, move these SCORM activities into it, and then hide the gradebook category.

by Howard Miller -

Melanie, I'm sorry but I'm at a loss. What your screen shot shows is completely at odds with what you have described. 

The screen shot does not show *any* manually added categories (what you said you did). It shows a normal Gradebook screen resulting from adding a few SCORM activities into a course. 

As Rick says... what *exactly* are you trying to do?