Site Admin. block disappears

Site Admin. block disappears

by Moses M. Mwebaze -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, 

I using Moodle 3.1 and I have a bit of a fix.  The block site Administrator disappears where it is needed for a course creator. Under the course creator, site Admin block appears only when course creator role is allowed at a system level. I want to restrict this role to course category and it is not showing up. I do not want the role to be inherited from the system level.  

I appreciate your support. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Moses M. Mwebaze

Re: Site Admin. block disappears

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Go to Site Admin > Users > Assign System Roles and unassign the Course Creators. Then go to Site Admin > Courses > Manage courses and categories and click on the settings icon, the little cog. The drop down menu should read something like 

• Edit 
  • Create New course 
  • Assign Roles 
  • etc... , 

Select Assign Roles and start afresh. 

Then go to this discussion, it outlines my Rule for Roles, and see if this is something like what you want for your Moodle. These Rules work for me, but maybe not for anyone else. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Moses M. Mwebaze -

Thanks, Colin

I have tried implement following the instructions but I still get the same challenge. Admin block-site Administrator does not appear under a user set as Course Creator or Manager.  All permissions indicate allowed/Yes but I do not get the block. 

Context types where this role may be assigned

-System and Category 

The assigned role for the user under a category

-Course Creator

The definition of roles 'course creator'

-Create Courses -Allowed

Override permissions for role 'course creator' in category

- There is option inherit (Allow) and  Allow  both not delivering rights to a category user

In reply to Moses M. Mwebaze

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Sorry, I just went and re-read your original post and think I had misread your intent. AFAIK, the Course Creator does not, and should not, get access to the Site Admin block. If you have set, say, yourself as both a Site Administrator and a Course Creator in a Category, then you, as Admin will see the Site Admin block but that Role overrides the Permissions with its ":goanywhere/doanything" Capability. Another Course Creator won't see the Site Admin block at all. The only people who should see the Site Admin block are the Site Administrators.      

Some people here have given users Admin privileges in a Category, but I am pretty sure that that can no longer be done, which is why the Role of Manager was created. That Role can only Administrate the Category it was created for, nowhere else and it still can't see the Site Admin Block.