Offline attendance tracker?

Offline attendance tracker?

by Black Cane -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

I'm using 2.9.

The course I teach is blended learning, and has a maximum number of allowable absences for the in-class days.

We currently keep track of students' lates and absences in a spreadsheet and alert them if they're getting close, or if they ask.

Is there a way for teachers to use Moodle to track attendance? This is unrelated to their use of the online material, so it would be something where instructors manually enter absences/lates, but students can see their status when they log in.

Any suggestions welcome!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Black Cane

Re: Offline attendance tracker?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Someone else may know the plugin for attendance.  I seem to recall that there is one.

One can always create "attendance" items in the grade book, even group them and give them their own overall weight.  One can then import the Excel data into the grade book item.  You can even come up with a point scheme, such as 5 points for attending, 3 points if late, 0 points if did not attend.

The advantage of gathering attendance in Moodle's grade book is that students will always see their status.  Poor scores might make them consider attending.

Attendance is a very interesting topic.  In one of my MBA courses, when I included attendance as a small percentage (10%) of a students grade, I had about 95% attendance.  When I dropped using attendance as a grade component, attendance dropped to around 50% (but I did provide good video lecture support so my data is a little biased.)  I actually prefer measuring "learning" than measuring "time," in this case attendance time.