Who is using Moodle with MS-SQL Server?

Who is using Moodle with MS-SQL Server?

by Jerry Lau -
Number of replies: 10

Hello folks.

I want to take some information to management to see how many Moodle users are using MS SQL-Server as their database and what problems and better options we would encounter if we use SQL-Server instead of MySQL, Oracle, or even PostGres.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jerry Lau

Re: Who is using Moodle with MS-SQL Server?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, if you are gonna shop ... then shop not excluding options ... include MySQL ... how about Percona MySQL (there is a community version but they also offer a commercial version and they do have the expertise.  How about MySQL Enterprise ... commercial version ... that too.   There is a version 8 out now.

Hmmmm ... wonder if Microsoft has released their SQL for Linux yet ... reported to be working on it ... know anyone inside Microsoft?    Ask!

Hmmmm ... why would Microsoft do that?   .... thinking out loud here ... don't have an answer ... kinda playing 'devils advocate'.

What do Amazon and Google offer?  One might need to check them out as well for expansion/scalibility,resilence/failover etc..

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Jerry Lau

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

as mentioned on your other post - new versions of Moodle require PHP 7 - and MS Sql is no longer supported in the same way.

Moodle may drop support for MS Sql as a database (although it's still possible to use it for external enrol/auth via the ADODB plugins - but it's not as easy as it used to be.)

see: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-59581

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Oh my... that's very interesting... moving away from the Dark Side - has to be a step in the right direction. 

Also... AFAIK, the data extraction layer is going to have to become more complex, due to changing legislative demands like the EU's new GDPR regulations, I suspect. It is more than likely that as new versions of the current databases are released, then it might be that one of them will be dropped as well. I know people will be scratching their heads at this statement, but the GDPR is just the start of it. This may not happen for a while, but I strongly suspect it will.  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Very interesting indeed!

Here are the two discussions mentioned:
- GDPR and Privacy - What it means to be plugin developers. Urgent request for comments
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=365857

- Be Objective: MS SQL Server Enterprise or MySQL enterprise & HA setup recommendations
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=366636
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Are you saying that Moodle might drop support for the whole MS SQL Server database engine?

Or are you referring to the old 'MSSQL' driver, $CFG->dbtype = 'mssql' ?

You're not removing the 'SQLSRV' driver, $CFG->dbtype = 'sqlsrv', are you?

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

it was almost both - it took a really long time for an MS SQL driver to be available for PHP 7 and it wasn't Moodle dropping support - it was PHP dropping support.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

We are using this method for connecting to our MS SQL server for External Auth and External DB Enrolment https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/developer-get-started/php/windows/step/2.html

It seems stable; is this still going to be available in Moodle 3.5?

Jon

In reply to Jon Witts

by Gregor McNish -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

We've been using MSSQL with moodle since 2011. We've gone back and forth a bit between the freetds and MS sqlsrv drivers.

With 3.1 and previous there's an issue with large backups related to session tables for sqlsrv which I think gets resolved in 3.3. We'll be using sqlsrv with PHP 7 when we upgrade to 3.5 later this year.

Using MSSQL used to be a problem with earlier versions of moodle -- especially 3rd party plugins, which often used db-specific sql; but in recent years we haven't had any real issues.

We use MSSQL because it's the supported platform at our college, and it allows us to focus on moodle admin and not have to do db admin as well. As a benefit we can do cross-db queries for integration and reporting relatively easily.

In reply to Gregor McNish

by Joseph Senare -

Good day Everybody,

I want to run Moodle 3.4 on a Windows Server 2012 R12, my Company doesn't support MySQL, but support MS SQL. I just want to know if there are known issues with regards to this database, if there are, what issues are there and how can we overcome those type of issues?

Kind regards

Joseph Senare

Software Developer

joseph.senare@sita.co.za