How to restrict course upload size for teachers

How to restrict course upload size for teachers

by Mei Ling -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I have set server upload size limit 100MB, course default upload limit 20MB.

However, teacher still can change the course Maximum upload size to "server upload size 100MB" via course administrator > edit setting.

May i know how to set permission not allow teacher to change the course upload limit? 

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mei Ling

Re: How to restrict course upload size for teachers

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can't. There are no options to restrict access to this setting. 

Who gets to use the 100MB limit? If this is just the admin then you could set 20MB (not much!) site-wide and use the file system repository for larger files. See - File_system_repository

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mei Ling -

Oh, I thought to restrict the teacher to change the course level - upload limit. 

Then create another role with permission "Capabilities/moodle/course:ignorefilesizelimits", so the user with this role can upload bigger media files in interactive contents, e.g. H5P, SCORM

This role only grant for certain users who passion in teaching. 

File_system_repository is used for storage, but not upload and link to the modules.

Any idea how to overcome this? 

In reply to Mei Ling

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well... you answered your own question. Create a new role with only the 'ignorefilesizelimits' capability and give that (as well as the normal Teacher role) to 'passionate' teachers. 

File system repository allows you to upload files to the repository (say, using FTP) and then accessing the file through Moodle's standard filepicker. It completely bypasses any size restriction.