MAXimum File Upload Size

MAXimum File Upload Size

by Paul Raper -
Number of replies: 5

So ok, I know this is commonly asked, but is there actually a maximum size that either Moodle or the Database can handle, or is the maximum size of the file you want to upload truly determined by the PHP ini file, and Apache server configuration file?

I am asking this because I have tried setting the PHP ini file to some quite crazy numbers, and the Apache settings to some equally crazy numbers, but that doesn't seem to overcome some really large files for course restoring.

Does anyone know any work arounds that can be used to overcome server "inhibitions"/restrictions.

Whilst I use a rented server, I have full access to all the settings. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Raper

Re: MAXimum File Upload Size

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Got anything like suPHP or SELinux or other like that running?

Other than that ... this comes to mind ...

"... rented server,..." could be max settings for the server.   Makes no diff if you have access to files/config or not ... it's a Virtualized hosting thing.   There are some hosting places that do that ... even the ones that advertise 'unlimited'. :|

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Paul Raper

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Unless you tell us what those crazy numbers are, where you set them and what you are getting, anything is possible.

The typical "work around" is the https://docs.moodle.org/en/File_system_repository, where you can use a proper file transfer protocol to upload files (rather than HTTP).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Paul Raper -

A really useful tip.

I have set that up in my Test and Active production Moodle, and it works really well.

Thank you for the pointer.

Paul

In reply to Paul Raper

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

How large are the files and what are the exact settings you changed?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Paul Raper -

Hi Emma,

Sorry for the late response: semester start always tends to be a little hectic.

The upload file size is 284,182Kb. I tried changing the PHP file upload sizes.

The solution with using the Moodle file repository worked well, and actually the advantage here is I can allocate a directory to each administrator.