How can students see their mentors?

How can students see their mentors?

by MapIestrip . -
Number of replies: 4

I was wondering how I can let students see who their mentors/parents are. Right now, when I assign a mentor to a student, the menot can see the student listed in their "mentees" block, but the student has no equivalent and has no way of knowing they even have a mentor.

I'm using Moodle version 3.4+.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to MapIestrip .

Re: How can students see their mentors?

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

This is an excellent question.

There seems to be no way for a Mentee to find this out on the site. There's no link or info about this in the Mentee's profile that I know of.

I wonder out loud if this is an issue for GDPR compliance? Shouldn't a user know if another specific user has been assigned the role to them and so is able to see their profile, grades, read their posts, etc.? Seems like a privacy issue.

Obviously, generally speaking, there is some understanding or notification to users about this outside of Moodle, esp in cases of Parent/Child roles. However, it seems an oversight not to have a way to see this in the interface.

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Randy Thornton -

For the curious, here is a Configurable Reports query to show the user who runs it who their Mentors are. Tested in M 3.4.

It assumes you have a role with the shortname 'mentor' though you can change that to any such role name, like 'parent'.

This is based the original query by Tim Hunt in this thread: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=199269#p880308

SELECT 
CONCAT(u.firstname ,' ',u.lastname) AS 'My Mentor(s)'
FROM prefix_user u
JOIN prefix_role_assignments ra ON ra.userid = u.id
JOIN prefix_role role ON role.id = ra.roleid
JOIN prefix_context ctx ON ctx.id = ra.contextid AND ctx.contextlevel = 30
JOIN prefix_user me ON me.id = ctx.instanceid
WHERE role.shortname = 'mentor'
AND me.id = %%USERID%%

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi!

Thanks for your comments. I've added a reference to this thread in the issue for including by default the parent role in Moodle: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-14587 

Related to the GDPR, We're working on the specification and this will be one of the subjects we'll try to review smile

Kind regards!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sara Arjona Téllez

by Randy Thornton -

Sara,

Excellent and thank you. 

I added a comment to the Tracker and voted the issue up. It's a pretty old issue. 

Has anyone brought this up in the GDPR forum yet for discussion? It's a small detail but I think that it should be included in the upcoming new tools to help with compliance.  

Creo que también sea útil aconsejar a los moodlers de los foros hispanohablantes que todavía faltan informes o ajustes de esto  smile

Randy