Disabling/Allowing access to Plagiarism Plugins for certain Teachers

Disabling/Allowing access to Plagiarism Plugins for certain Teachers

by Michael Grainger -
Number of replies: 4

We have recently installed unicheck plagiarism plugin. It works brilliantly in Moodle. However, as a college of more than 200 students we have taken a decision to buy a license which only allows certain courses to use the plugin.

To save on costs we have identified that only  around 10  courses (out of approx 100) currently wish to use the plugin and therefore around 40 teachers.

I am hoping to create a role along the lines of "unicheck teacher" which will be allowed to use the unicheck plugin. Hopefully I will then be able to disable the access to the plugin for the standard "teacher role".

The reason for this is that I need to prevent standard teachers from using the plugin unless they have specifically been granted access. At the moment this seems to be the only way to keep within the licence requirements for our purchase of the software. We have a licence for 700 unique students (which covers the needs of the 10 courses). Basically, I am concerned that some teachers will inadvertently activate the plugin for an assignment when they are not from a department or course which is part of the agreement to use the paid service. This will have an adverse affect on the terms of the license and will prevent legitimate users from using the service once the 700 users limit has been reached.

My question is this:

• What is the best way to assign a role which allows some teachers to access a plugin but not others?
  • Is there a way to combine this with cohorts to create a group of teachers with a system wide role?
  • Can all teachers on a course be granted the "special permission" without having to individually update role assignments for all of the teachers on all of the courses?

I suppose what I'm asking is: what is the most efficient way to assign a role to a group of teachers whilst denying plugin permissions to the majority?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Grainger

Re: Disabling/Allowing access to Plagiarism Plugins for certain Teachers

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Michael,

Assuming the unicheck plagiarism plugin has a capability for controlling usage, I'd suggest you create a "unicheck teacher" role with only this capability allowed, and then assign the role to the 40 teachers (in addition to their teacher roles).

If you don't want the 40 teachers inadvertently using unicheck in all their courses, it would be best to only assign them the "unicheck teacher" role in the 10 courses. If you don't want to do this manually (going into each of the 10 courses), you could use the feature Upload users or Flat file.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Michael Grainger -

Thank you Helen,

This is exactly what I have done - the only slight difference is that all of the teachers were already enrolled with the standard teacher role on their respective courses.

For future reference:

I created a new role called "unicheck teacher" based on the standard teacher role. For standard teachers I did not allow any unicheck options (apart from viewing existing plagiarism reports). For Unicheck I allowed all options. Standard teachers simply don't even see any options for unicheck when creating assignments so it is now impossible for them to accidentally add this as an option.

It was actually much quicker than I thought to add the additional role (which over-rides) existing roles because all of the teachers already had enrolments in their courses as teachers. By filtering the users list just by teachers, clicking to add additional roles for applicable teachers was very fast and took less than five minutes for all of the courses.

The upload users and flat file options would probably be very useful if I needed to assign the role to more than 40 teachers but in this case it was actually quick to do it manually. I was hoping that there would be an option to combine cohorts and roles to speed up the maintenance of this each year but obviously that's not possible at the moment.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Michael, good to hear you figured out a solution and thanks for sharing the details.

by Mira B -
Michael!

I'm glad to hear about your experience with Unicheck!  So please feel free to get in touch with me (or our support team support@unicheck.com) if you'd like to get more info, help or answers for any issues.

Best regards, Unicheck Team.