LDAP Enrolment and CourseID's

LDAP Enrolment and CourseID's

by Chris Nelson -
Number of replies: 8

We are running version 2.6 of Moodle. We are also using LDAP Authentication and LDAP Enrolment.  We have two groups of students one group with a different course ID from the other. However they are both to be enrolled in the one course. How can this be done? One group of students has one courseID so we can auto enrol in their course, but we have another group of students with a different course ID and they also need to be in the same course as the first group. Can we assign 2 course ID's to one course? Should we manually add the second group of students to the course? Other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Nelson

Re: LDAP Enrolment and CourseID's

by Adam Barbary -

You could use meta-linking to enrol the students from the other course.

Cheers,

Adam

In reply to Adam Barbary

by Chris Nelson -

I did look in to that, but the issue with this is there is no actual 2nd course on moodle. So I dont believe meta-linking would work. 

In reply to Chris Nelson

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Why do they have a different course id or group which I think is what you actually mean?  The idea is that you create a security group for each course and then add the students to that.  They can stay in their other groups but just need added to the group that corresponds to the course.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chris Nelson -

Hi Emma: I find it a challenge to explain things through this forum and things then to lose their context when I try to explain. We have instructors who have 2 courses that have been set up for them. Course A and Course B for example. However the material is the same in both courses. So they would prefer to only teach from one course. However because of how billing is handled through Student information system, there has to be 2 separate courses. When we set up ldap enrolment - we created course groups in AD (these course groups are named according to the courseID in moodle and through our cutom powershell script we run, students are places in their respective courses.

I guess we have 2 options: one is to copy the users from course group in AD to the other so when the student logs in they are place in both courses - and the instructor can let them know to only use the one course for the material being taught.

The second option which I just found, is to set up a cohort. we have done this as a test. We have remove one of the courses (the one not being used teach from and set up a cohort an added this cohort to the course being taught. This way they dont see a course that is not being used anymore. The billing piece in our sis kept the same with now impact, AD still sees 2 groups of students (but since) one of the courses no longer has a course ID - it does not appear to matter. 

Am I using the cohort in the correct manner - i.e is this what cohorts are used for?

In reply to Chris Nelson

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok, thanks for explaining. 

So, then, why does metalinking not work?  That is almost exactly what it is designed for.  You would have one main course with all the content and then two courses that are meta-linked to that course.  The two courses act kind of like sections which is where you would separate out for billing and students from both courses are automatically enrolled in the main course where they would actually do their work.

by Chris Nelson -

Yes that would work if there were 2 courses in moodle. But we are now only using one course and need students in this course that are not the based on the auto enrollment using the Moodle course ID. Would cohorts work?

In reply to Chris Nelson

by Emma Richardson -

Yes, cohorts should work but not quite as automated. So really, you just need separate security groups in your LDAP server for billing.  But you can't create a third security group that is just for the course enrollment?  Because students can be members of more than one security group.  I would think that would be the simplest way.  Have security groups for billing and then have separate security groups for course enrollment that tie to the actual course.

by Chris Nelson -

Thanks Emma for the various suggestions. Cohorts seem to have done the trick. Fortunately we do not have many cohorts. We are a small University College. We only have 2 cohorts set up right now with approx a total of 15 students. So manual is not an issue right now. As we grow then I will need to look at other alternatives as suggested.