3.3 Self enrolment: cannot unmask key

3.3 Self enrolment: cannot unmask key

by Francesco Petrone -
Number of replies: 11

Hi all,

Moodle 3.3.3+ (Build: 20171123)

Problem: none can get  the unmask option on the self enrol course page.

As simple as that: it is not there anymore, not sure since which upgrade. We got a lot of tickets due to typing failed keys.

Any help is really appreciated.

Regards

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francesco Petrone

Re: 3.3 Self enrolment: cannot unmask key

by Francesco Petrone -

Hello, 

anyone affected by this issue?

thansk

regards

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Francesco!

Could you please add more information to your report such as replication instructions, error messages and screenshots to be able to reproduce the issue and try to help you? smile

Thanks in advance! 

Kind regards,

Sara

In reply to Sara Arjona Téllez

by Francesco Petrone -

Hi Sara,

many thanks for the reply.

Just add a course, for  example

single activity: SCORM

enrollment methods: manual, self enrollment

edit self enrollment options, add a key

test it with a non admin user and eroll yourself:  the "unmask" checkbox is not there  when you type the key. The function is to show the typed characters, this is normal for a shared secret. The "unmask"  checkbox was there in previous version eg: 2.8, 2.9

It is annoying to get helpdesk tickets for wrongly typed keys.

thanks

regards

francesco

by Francesco Petrone -

Hi All, 

is that possible that none else complains about this??!!!

Please look at the picture, it is so clear. Any student using self enrolment CANNOT reveal (unmask) the enrolment key, so to replace caracters instead of dots. It is like that for any Self Enroled course with key.

This generates a lot of tickets and request to the IT. 

The function was there on 2.8.

Look at the picture on Moodle 3.3.3+ (Build: 20180104)

Attachment Self_Enrolement_no_key_unmask.png

by Francesco Petrone -

this is how it was on Moodle 2.8

Attachment Self_Enrolement_key_unmask_Moodle2_8.png

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I have not seen anyone else mention this.  I do not use keyed enrollment so cannot verify but I would suggest putting in a tracker ticket.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Francesco Petrone -

Hi Emma, 

infinite gratitude for your reply.

If you or anybody else could confirm this as a bug (more likely a lost feature). 

It takes just nothing:

- create a new course

- single activity, no matters

- enrolment methods:  manual and self enrolment

- go to self enrolment and set the key you like

- use a test account to enrol

I am running in burnout.

thanks to any of you out there

regards

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Confirmed in 3.4.  I think it is not a terrible change as in a class full of students maybe you don't want them seeing enrollment keys of their class mates but there should probably be an option to see if you want.

by Francesco Petrone -

Hi Emma,

many thanks for checking. Indeed it is.

Using an enrolment key from another person does not bring any benefit: one would enrol itself in a course in which he/she is not expected to be. No advantages.

In our organization we send emails with enrolment key so to target groups of employee and excluding the others. We have tickets opened by people complaining that the "key does not work" because they do not see the chars.

Our people  are free to browse the courses, but when they see that the enrolment key is needed, they just keep away.  For your information, a self enrolment with no enrolment key makes the course available for everybody.

I am going to try to change the code so that the enrolment key input element in html will be a "text" instead of "password"  type.

I have then to re-apply it on every update, but I have an .sh script for that.

regards

by Emma Richardson -

Yes, I totally understand how frustrating that can be.  How about putting your target groups in cohorts and then only letting the specific cohorts enroll with no key needed?  Would that simplify things?

by Francesco Petrone -

Hi Emma,

managing cohorts will add an extra effort.

I made the hack:

file: moodle/enrol/self/locallib.php

line 82 change from

$mform->addElement('password', 'enrolpassword', get_string('password', 'enrol_self')

to:

$mform->addElement('text', 'enrolpassword', get_string('password', 'enrol_self')

it works, but I have to add an extra  check on my update script so to look for changes.. puff

Thanks for your spiritual support.