When student quits the course, does his assignement material remain ?

When student quits the course, does his assignement material remain ?

by Miro Iliaš -
Number of replies: 10

Hello,

could someone answer me: when student quits the course, do his assigned materials (files, text, comments) remain in the assignement module ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miro Iliaš

Re: When student quits the course, does his assignement material remain ?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes and no!

They are still there but only visible if you reenroll the student to the course.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Miro Iliaš -

Thanks for your answer, Ema.

The problem is that when student drops the university, he  automatically quits the Moodle course, containing his assignements. So the teacher does not see "missing" student, nor his assignements...

What to do ? For the sake of archivation I need to see all stored materials in assignements, although students can be gone. Is not there any workaround for such situation ?

In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Please clarify: "when drops the uni..., he is automatically quits the moodle" ...

That sounds like students are authenticating via the student information system or LDAP and the students no longer attending the univ  have had their accounts on the SIS or LDAP disabled.

The student account might still exist in the Moodle, but cannot login because their credentials in LDAP have been changed/hidden/blocked from being used to authenticate.

If there is some automated setup where the students no longer have access to the authentication server then they are also 'removed' from Moodle, then the removal of the student could erase all of their work.

Student work is not kept in one table/folder in the sea of files in moodledata/filedir/ ... depends upon class and mods/activities.   Assignments have a set of tables for all courses ... not each course ... as do forums, as do other things like blogs, etc.

So what to do to archive?    At the close of the academic session, before the student is removed from Moodle, make a full backup of the course - that includes students and their work/grades/ teacher comments, etc...   Download or put that full backup somewhere on LAN/WAN or download for restoring.

OR, hide that course .... make a no user backup of the course, restore the no user backup for use the next academic session.

OR, once you have a full backup downloaded, reset the course removing all students work and account.   That leaves the teacher and all resources/activities, etc. in the course and the course visible and ready for new students.

If the student accounts have been alterted, not even admin level users can see the students any more.

They are, however, in an obscured. form in the mdl_user table.

Am sure Emma may have yet another idea ... ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Instead of deleting students when they leave, just suspend them.  There is an option in the assignment grading view to uncheck Show Only Enrolled Students.  This will allow teachers to see assignments of suspended students as well.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Bohumil Havel -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Miro, you'll have to solve with in accordance GDPR. I think you should have a live cycle of accounts and transfer leaving account to a pseudo-anonymous status.

Všetko dobré, Bohuš

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Miro Iliaš -

Dear Ema and others,

the problem is more general. 

Our admin does not allow suspension feature to minimize amount of (users) data. Accounts of users droped from the university are simply deleted.

So, at the end of each semester I am supposed (for each course) to download almost everything: attendance for each group, 3 different assignements (for each group), questionnaire, quizes etc. So many things to archivate.

Isn't there some remedy for all these archivations ? One button for downloading all (for selected groups): assignements, attendance, quizes, questionnaires.

Comments, question ?

In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Emma Richardson -

Why not just run automated course backups and save them offline.  Contains all the records you need and also provides a backup.

by Miro Iliaš -

Well,

I just tried to do it manually... the whole course is more than 1GB, and to recover  the saved data, the big mbz file must be read into another existing course and  unpack there. This is too complicated.

Rather, I would prefer a plugin - download data from selected course activities (attendance, assignements, quiz, questionnaire) at once...but such solution does not exist yet, right ?

In reply to Miro Iliaš

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Miro Iliaš -

Dear Adele,

thanks for your answer.

I know about exporting the gradebook.

However, concerning the assignement, this download of feedback files (pdf of quiz, or of  checked written test) does not work (Moodle 3.3) when there are no submitted assignements by students.  What works is upload of feedback files only, but I need download.

In the setting I am using teacher uploads feedback files into assignement, together with registering the grades for each student.

PS: See also thread  here.