Site Admin Link Won't Open

Site Admin Link Won't Open

by David Heuring -
Number of replies: 4

Oh boy... I just upgraded to Moodle 3.4+.  Everything was great.  I decided to add some file extensions to the videoeasy filter.  So when I went to save I got the error messages in the attached file.  Most importantly, I am no longer able to open the "Site Administration" link in the Admin block.  I'm basically locked out, although I can still edit the Frontpage and course settings.  Just can't get into "Site Administration".  I figured it was due to adding these two file extensions to the filter so I went to the database and deleted the fields for the two file extensions I had just added to the filter.  Same outcome.  I am unable to open the "Site Administrator".

I will also post this to the Videoeasy discussion but it seemed relevant to this thread so I am reaching out for some help here as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

Attachment Untitled.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Heuring

Re: Site Admin Link Won't Open

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

This thread was about the admin block being missing... but you’re saying you can still see the block but the Site Admin link is not working.

Can you still get directly to the site admin area by http://yourmoodle.com/admin?

Or directly to the Manage Filters page at http://yourmoodle.com/admin/filters.php - if so, you can hopefully disable the videoeasy filter.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by David Heuring -

Correct, I can see admin block so perhaps I shouldn't have posted here and just started a new thread.  My apologies.  I guess I overreacted when I couldn't open the site administration link.  Freaked me out cuz I've never seen that happen before. 

I am unable to go to any of the admin pages by pasting them into the browser bar.  I also tried going directly to the admin/filter page and got the same error page.  At one point, I completely removed the videoeasy folder from the server to see what would happen.  I was then able to open Site Administration so that tells me I'm stuck with this videoeasy error blocking me.  I'm thinking of removing the folder from the server and then uploading/installing it again.  Might that remove the error that is blocking me? 

I can't try it right now because I have users taking tests that require videoeasy.  I also wanted to get some input from the community.

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

No problem with posting to the Blocks forum - I was just highlighting for future visitors that it wasn't related to the original post - in fact, I've split it into a separate discussion and moved it to the General Help forum.

(side note... just realised we don't appear to have a filters forum!)

If you've removed the videoeasy folder and the problem goes, then it does suggest that there is an issue with the changes you've made to the filter. If it was working previously, you could just upload the original filter files to the folder (ie - without your changes). That should give you site admin back.

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi David

I think you just need to visit the site notifications page and go through the step of 'installing' the new file extensions you set up. The VideoEasy filter saves those as (new) settings, so Moodle needs to notice them and set them up. After adding new extensions, you need to visit site notifications. I think I can probably force this to happen right after the update, but I just have not figured that out yet. So  go to:

[YOUR MOODLE URL]/admin/index.php

Hopefully that will do the trick. Please post back here , so we know.