How to estimated dedication time of participants within a course?

How to estimated dedication time of participants within a course?

by Narit B -
Number of replies: 14

Hi

I'm using Moodle 3.3 on NAS QNAP

I have question that How can i know estimated dedication time of participants within a course?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Narit B

Re: How to estimated dedication time of participants within a course?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There is a contributed Course dedication block. You would have to check it works with your version of Moodle, however.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Narit B -

Hi Mary Cooch

Thank you for the source but I can't find the download button.

In reply to Narit B

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I see a green download button when I click the link - do you not?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Narit B -

Hi Mary Cooch

Yes, I can't see the green download button.

In reply to Narit B

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I know I always say this... but it's a crazy idea trying to infer anything useful from these sort of reports. Knowing that a user has been sat clicking the mouse every so often on a Moodle page while they watch music videos on YouTube is probably not the best measure of learning. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Narit B -

Hi Howard Miller

Usually I also agree with that this maybe crazy ideas to keep track of participants who are learn in the course.

Do you have any ideas or other solutions to keep track or dedication time of participants who login and really learn the contents.

Note: I saw in the Quiz, The system already keep the dedication time when they did the quiz. Any activities that the system can keep the time after they did it?  How can I export the field time from that?

Thank you 

In reply to Narit B

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Why are you measuring time spent and not stuff learnt?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Narit B -

Hi Marcus Green

Because I need to keep the record of Training Hours of students  so that why I need to have time measuring record.

I know maybe this way is not a good solution to do but I don't know how to recording training hours of students who login and study to the course.

My criteria of the company, Students need to have the training hours at least 60 hours / years. So how can I do that?

please give me the advise or recommend

Thank you.

In reply to Narit B

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I realise that this may be some requirement imposed upon you (it normally is) however, set a quiz or assignment to measure the knowledge. 

I can't understand what use a 'dedication time' (I hadn't heard it called that before) measurement is to anybody.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Narit B -

Hi Howard Miller

Yes, because I need to keep the record of Training Hours of students  so that why I need to have time measuring record. And the set a quiz or assignment to measure the knowledge that good way. I agreed.  

I know maybe this way is not a good solution to do but I don't know how to recording training hours of students who login and study to the course.

My criteria of the company, Students need to have the training hours at least 60 hours / years. So how can I do that?

please give me the advise or recommend

Thank you.

In reply to Narit B

by Mary Cooch -

As well as quizzes, the Lesson activity in Moodle will show how long the student has spent in it if you set the timer - you can specify they must spend a particular amount of time in order to officially mark the activity as complete.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Henry Quinn -

Mary,

This is EXACTLY what I needed.

HOWEVER  smile .....    my lessons are in SCORM format.  The SCORM activity has no such countdown before it can be marked complete.  How can I accomplish the same thing, a minimum time spent on the SCORM lesson?

In reply to Narit B

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Out of curiosity, how would you measure dedication time if you were not going to use Moodle or any LMS?  (In other words, if there were no computers involved.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Howard Miller -

I've often suggested that the only answer is some sort of brain implant wink

I know a lot of us think that "dedication time" (or whatever you care to call it) is a ridiculous notion - and it is - but we are usually "shooting the messenger". The person posting here is just trying to implement a crazy requirement from above. 

As it's clearly impossible to measure the time a student spends on the course I would just pick some arbitrary metric and stick to it.