issues with install - stuck on Server checks

issues with install - stuck on Server checks

by Miz Cozma . -
Number of replies: 6

Hello all

I am new to setting up moodle. We used it at my job but now I am trying to set it up on my server.

I got past a few bumps in the installation process but now I am stuck and needing assistance.

Hopefully I can give enough info that someone can help! smile

Moodle 3.4+ (Build: 20171123)

The location of the moodle folder -- dbasic.xyz

a domain added to -- mizcozma.com

this is running on a shared server - shared hosting with Funio.com

The specs of the server are these

Apache Version2.4.29
PHP Version7.0.25
MySQL Version10.1.24-MariaDB-cll-lve
Architecturex86_64
Operating Systemlinux

So where I am stuck as the subject says is in the installation server checks... feels like I am close yet so far! 

the errors are 

php_extensionintl
must be installed and enabled

Intl extension is required to improve internationalization support, such as locale aware sorting and international domain names.

Check
php_extensionfileinfo
must be installed and enabled
Check
php_extensionxmlrpc
should be installed and enabled for best results

The xmlrpc extension is useful for web services and Moodle networking

Check
php_settingopcache.enable
PHP setting should be changed.

PHP opcode caching improves performance and lowers memory requirements, OPcache extension is recommended and fully supported.

and under others

mysql_full_unicode_support#Large_prefix
this test must pass

For full support of UTF-8 both MySQL and MariaDB require you to change your MySQL setting 'innodb_large_prefix' to 'ON'. See the documentation for further details.

Check
site not https
if this test fails, it indicates a potential problem

It has been detected that your site is not secured using HTTPS. It is strongly recommended to migrate your site to HTTPS for increased security and improved integration with other systems.

The last one I won't worry about  - not selling or collecting personal info at all

I am a bit at a loss - all the rest I figured out - having installed many wordpress sites LOL

I don't have a php.ini file but I did try making one as I found info here but it didn't work so I deleted it.

neta1o.com/tutorials/modify-phpini-on-shared-iwebcom-hosting.html

So that is my issue... I am stuck - anyone with ideas how to get past this bump hehe

thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miz Cozma .

Re: issues with install - stuck on Server checks

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Shared hosting is the issue ... or, should I say, knowledge of the shared hosting environment ...

https://www.funio.help/hc/en-us/articles/221172248-Customize-PHP-values-and-modules

All of the items shown in the environment check are php extensions and if the above does not cover one of them, then contact hosting provider.

The one thing I see that you might not be able to change/do anything about is the requirement for the DB server ... full unicode support large prefixes might be the first of a few.

Since you are on shared hosting, did you use some app hosting provider has for customers to install things like Moodle?   If so, fingers crossed that app installed Moodle correctly ... and no, don't think there is anyone in these community forums (at least the 'regulars') that can provide a 'work around'.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Miz Cozma . -

oh wow Ken you are amazing!

I was actually in that section of cpanel when I upgraded my php - but I hadn't been in there before so I didn't know all those errors were plugins found there - and yes they were all there!  all of course but the one you mentioned - requirement for the DB server ... full unicode support large prefixes 

So that is my only error remaining!  So I am off to view my data base and see if I can do anything there if not I will contact my provider!

Thank you so much - I hope it all goes well from there!

Thanks again!

In reply to Miz Cozma .

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I think somewhere a php.ini exists, and as Ken says, is where you can fix the php extension problems.

For the database issues, you should be looking for the "my.cnf" file.  As Ken mentions, you might not have access to this on a shared hosting system.

You might need to step up to a VPS.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Miz Cozma . -

Thank you Rick.  I was able to do all the php extention fixes in my cpanel which was nice.

And as for the my.ini  ya I don't seem to have access to it. My hosts has helped me by configuring things out of my reach before so hoping they will tweak that up for me.  i can see the line in the database but it is a variable that I can't edit. 

So figures crossed my provider comes though for me and thank you guys again for your help!

Cozma

In reply to Miz Cozma .

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Typically this is "my.cnf."  And since this is a back-end database file, few host providers (via shared hosting) like to accommodate specific applications.  I find that one has to have a VPS to get control of this my.cnf file.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Miz Cozma . -

Hi again guys!

So as usual my hosting company did a fast great job - by the time I woke up on Monday they had changed the no to a yes in the database and I was able to finish the install smile

I will update later how well it all runs on their shared servers - if good it might be a company to add to the list of shared space where it runs well - at least for smaller groups smile

Thanks again for all the help!