Installing Issues with different Versions

Installing Issues with different Versions

by Paul Liebecke -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

i have Problems with installing moodle to a shared Server.

1) i tried the newest version 3.4, but there where Problems with the converting of InnoDB tables to Barracuda from Antelope...

• mysql_full_unicode_support#File_format 
      • mysql_full_unicode_support#Large_prefix

I read that a on a shared server this could be a problem. As i have heard the Version 3.2.1 and 3.1.5 and older should be fine with that.

So i tried and downloaded them. 

2) With these both Versions I'm getting the following Issue: 

• Fatal error: Cannot use 'object' as class name as it is reserved in /home/fmzjjnlz/moodle/e-learning/lib/setuplib.php on line 66

Installing moodle on localhost with Xammp worked well, but i can't get it on a server.
I'm getting a little desperate right now. Maybe someone could help...

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Liebecke

Re: Installing Issues with different Versions

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

My guess for point 2 would be related to this... https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_and_PHP7

Point 1... have you spoken to your host's support people?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Paul Liebecke -

Hi Howard,

thanks for the link. I tried to get some info out of it, but i can't follow the whole context
Maybe you (or someone else) could give me a more detailed info what i actually could do... =(

I tried install it with PHP7.0 and 5.6

To point 1 the support couldn't help me yet. waiting for other info there.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Did you delete both the database and moodledata and moodle folder between each install.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Paul Liebecke -

Yes i always used new folders, even different locations. The Database is still empty, because i didn't passed the checking... so there is nothing installed...

by Dan Bennett -
Who is your server host, if you don't mind me asking?

It's likely that, if you do not have root access, you may need to request for them to make changes to MySQL (for point 1 at least).

"mysql_full_unicode_support#File_format" will be that `innodb_file_format` must be set to`Barracuda`.
"mysql_full_unicode_support#Large_prefix" will be that `innodb_large_prefix` needs set too.

Both of these are in my.cnf (by default, or wherever your MySQL configs are for your site).

As for Point 2, Moodle 3.4 won't work with PHP 5.6 so you need to check that you have PHP 7.0 installed. If you have SSH access to the server run "php --version" to confirm.

If you do have PHP 7.0 installed and confirmed and you still get that error, I'd suggest redownloading the source (ideally cloning via GIT), to see if that helps. ?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I tend to fix these problems by modifying MySQL's my.cnf file, like the one I attached.  Typically, folks on a shared hosting plan don't have access to this my.cnf file.  You might need to upgrade to a VPS.

by Paul Liebecke -
I worked yesterday till late at night and somehow even got my IP blocked by my provider (due to too many requests in a short time)... today i got unlocked and tried it again. AND IT WORKED! So i don't know what my last steps where yesterday. But the result is, finally i have my moodle. smile

Thanks to all of you! 

by Dan Bennett -

Excellent news! Though in future you may want to take notes of what changes you make wink.

(Side note - rate posts as Useful if they were! Yes )