SEB (Safe Exam Browser) Pros & Cons

SEB (Safe Exam Browser) Pros & Cons

by Mario Gharib -
Number of replies: 36

Dear Moodlers, 

Does anyone use the SEB (Safe Exam Browser) ? 

We would like to know what are the pros and cons of using the SEB tool and what things that makes it different from using Firefox or Chrome (other than prevent Copy/Paste and using browsers to connect to the internet) ?

Many Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mario Gharib

Re: SEB (Safe Exam Browser) Pros & Cons

by Miro Iliaš -

Hi Mario,

I am using SEB. This is the best solution for Moodle Quizes IMHO

SEB locks the whole screen, students are not allowed to visit other pages, or opening files on the computer.  In SEB, students focus on making the Quiz only and are not attracted to "ilicit" content, because simply they can not reach it.

We have SEB installed on every computer at our faculty. 

The only cons is that you have to install and configure it manually for your Moodle installation.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Mario Gharib -

Hey Miro, many thanks for your reply,

Is it possible to tell us which university or institution you are using it ? 

We are the University of Saint-Joseph Beirut from Lebanon

In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Joseph Liaw -

+1 for SEB!

Works great, and easily deployed on Windows, Mac, iOS, and also works on Chromebooks!

Official download page here:  https://www.safeexambrowser.org/download_en.html

Wish I had figured out to use it earlier, but it will solve many issues for most schools, students, and instructors!

Chromebook version is not "official", but works if you follow Colin Matheson's brilliant instructions here:

http://cytochromec.net/blog/2015/05/secure-browser-for-testing-on-moodle-using-chromebooks-or-winmac/

In reply to Joseph Liaw

by Ade Elijah -

Hi,

SEB really works great for me.

I only wish it could work on Android Devices also.

In reply to Joseph Liaw

by Babaso Aldar -
Hi, If student quit the Safe exam browser and search the answer then restart the safe exam browser and resume the Quiz. How to avoid this?

I want to know that is there any setting that if student quit the SEB then quiz should submit automatically and student can not resume it again?

Thanks in advance...... 

In reply to Babaso Aldar

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You might also explore the possibility of your students having a mobile phone with a browser with them.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Joseph Liaw -

Marcus is correct--nothing replaces old-fashioned human boots on the ground and face-to-face proctoring...

...but technology tools can help with discouraging mindless cheating, and that's where the SEB integration is a great idea with open source tools like Moodle....

I think this is what you are looking for:

https://moodle.org/plugins/quizaccess_onesession

Works really well but you should still have a teacher / proctor in the room in case something goes wrong so that you can override the settings, answer student questions, etc.

In reply to Babaso Aldar

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The idea is that you configure the test in Moodle so that it will open only in a SEB.
In reply to Mario Gharib

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

We are a Google for Education K-12 school district with over 17,000 managed Chromebooks dispersed amongst 34 building across the city.  

Unfortunately many of the safe exam browsers either cost a lot of money or required laptops with Windows or OS X.  So we built our own Chromebook App called 'iLearn Secure Browser"  that takes control of the Chromebook and eliminates all kinds of cheating.  We were able to deploy this app to all chromebooks in minutes with the configurator which allows for customization and a few security tweaks before deployment.

Some of the features:

• Easy to use and deploy in large organizations with thousands of chromebooks
  • Two Parts: Chromebook App and Moodle Quiz Restriction plugin
  • Whitelist and Blacklist of allowed URLs ( We block all external content inside the app and only allow content from:  the Moodle site, youtube, and Wiris plugin. )
  • No popups or new tabs allowed
  • Launching the App generates a sound which can signal the teacher someone has left and re-entered the test
  • Once you start a quiz attempt you cannot leave the quiz module in Moodle.  The only pathway is forward and you must complete the quiz and turn off the chromebook when done with the test.
  • Can be forced to launch the App on devices when first turned on or can be launched prior to logging in.  No login to the actual chromebook is required.  User only needs to login to the moodle site within the App.
  • SUPER EASY for teachers.  We built a Moodle plugin which requires the user to be using the Chromebook app to take the quiz.  Simply open up a Quiz Settings page and go to Extra Restrictions.  We added a drop-down menu that has "Require iLearn Secure Browser" or "Do not require iLearn Secure Browser".  Once activated the quiz can only be accessed via the Chromebook App.

We are currently using/piloting this with our staff and we are looking to open source this but we are a bit busy and need to do some work on it before releasing it.  Initial feedback from teachers is that it works amazingly well!

Obviously there would be a plugin submitted for a Quiz Restriction at Moodle.org and we'd include the link to the github for the Chromebook App.  Since this is a bit more involved than just a plugin we don't know what level of support we'd be able to offer beyond offering it up for free which is making us nervous to release it.

Article with more details:

https://michiganmoodle.dearbornschools.org/plugins/a-new-moodle-open-source-secure-testing-application-using-chromebooks-for-k-12/

Video:

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Joseph Liaw -

Hi Chris:

Wow--that's looks really cool what you guys have built and I can see why your teachers are excited, especially with the nice work you and your team have done with the Fordson Theme!!!

If you are looking for a guinea pig, I'd be happy to test it out for you and give you feedback before you push it out to the Moodle community, and could help with any documentation as another "set of eyes".....

It looks like you guys took what Colin had done with getting SEB to work as a Chromebook Kiosk app, and extended it even further with your customizations (audio feedback, whitelisting, etc.)....

I agree with you that teachers like having this feature to secure quizzing in Moodle--it makes them much more comfortable to experiment with things like mastery learning (allow students to retake quizzes / assignments / exams to learn from mistakes), leveraging Moodle to enhance real-life assessments (e.g. we had a geology teacher give a partner lab quiz where students worked in pairs testing out mineral samples with lab equipment for hardness, reactivity with acids, etc., but use Moodle to give immediate feedback, allow students to re-test for partial credit if they made a mistake, etc. turning the assessment into a powerful learning activity!), and to help harness the tool to help further the goal of making learning the focal point of using technology without all of the distractions and possible downsides of using an electronic vs. paper and pencil platform.

In reply to Joseph Liaw

by Chris Kenniburg -

Hello Joseph,

We've discussed putting the App in the Chromebook store and then providing the configurator for deployment to all the managed devices.  

The app does require configuration to setup the URL for the moodle site and all the security settings.  If we push the app out to the store then people wouldn't have to publish their own app.  They'd just have to configure before deploying.  The app wouldn't work unless it was properly deployed.

The Moodle plugin is simple and easy to use.  Just install and let teachers decide if a quiz requires the App or not.  

Right now we are just focused on making sure teachers are happy with it.  There are a lot of things to consider before pushing this out and people expecting help.  This is little more involved than just a moodle plugin. 

Our next deployment would be to provide this solution to all of Wayne County K-12 School districts here in Michigan.  We partner and provide Moodle advice (Our theme, enrollment plugin, and setup enhancements) to our Intermediate school district, Wayne County RESA.  Wayne RESA provides free moodle hosting and setup to every public school district in Wayne County, Michigan based off our "recipe" for Moodle.  Pretty much everything we develop we share out to the other K-12 school districts so that they can benefit too.  

We are hoping to develop a small, local community to share content and build common skillsets with teachers.  We have high hopes for running our own Moodle.Net sharing platform.  I hope they provide the code so others can operate their own content sharing sites for Moodle. 

by Joseph Liaw -

No problem Chris....completely respect your development process and the great work you are doing not only for your students locally, but how you are sharing your work for greater impact!

Re: Goodle for Education vs Free Software and open standards: Pros & Cons

Hi Chris

I am involved in utilizing web technology in education in the third world and faced with the fact that cheap "mobile" devices are the key to success. As an advocate of Free Software and open standards I have a concern though: Is going from Microsoft (Windows) to Google (Google for Education, Chromebook) is a good idea?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Goodle for Education vs Free Software and open standards: Pros & Cons

by Chris Kenniburg -

I'm not sure what tools you'd use to manage so many devices.  We will have upwards of 17,000 Chromebooks by year's end.   Thousands of windows devices too. 

Neither are open or free but they have all the networking and other tools we need to operate as a large organization.

It's more a choice to control the device and be able to control the user experience no matter which computer they log into.

Beyond the device OS it's also about user accounts, wifi, filtering, access to organization data storage, etc.

Re: Google for Education vs Free Software and open standards: Pros & Cons

Hi Chris

I am slowly realizing the implications of the BYOD wave that dawned upon us. The devices I am talking about do belong to the students. The "advised/required" [sic] platform is Windows 10. Also advised are the "convertibles" with touch screen. That way the devices are more or less uniform. The students are supposed to maintain them. That must have been the main reason why the management went for BYOD - but that wasn't the free lunch they've expected,.

The reality is though, although at tertiary level and technical streams, the students come up with all sorts of computer (and software) problems. And the next problem is the original topic of this discussion: how to conduct exams on such devices. With the "lab computers" we had our own systems, and managed exams without a problem. (There labs were never full, had enough spare computers.) With the BYOD we are going through a learning phase, at a high cost.

The main difference between your system and ours is that we have given up control over the devices!

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"how to conduct exams on such devices"

I would suggest it is not possible. Well not possible without significant problems, expense, unreliability and frustration. 

In reply to Marcus Green

Hi Marcus

Back to the original subject. After a long ride I come to the same conclusion. This detailed post https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=377609#p1522487 in the German community is a good summary. As far as BYOD goes, either you stand behind the candidates during the exam or go to expensive proprietary supplier of a proctoring service. The critical point is that you don't have control over the device.

If you have control over the device, and the examination is conducted in a controlled space (lab, classroom) only then SEB is a feasible and a good solution.

by Daniel Schneider -

That’s nonsense. People concentrating only on the possible technical means of cheating when doing exams on electronic devices miss the essential point: Cheating in other ways (cheat sheets, smuggle a mobile phone with Bluetooth earpiece, smart watch etc.) is much easier and you can just prevent it by a code of honesty, good proctors/invigilators in the exam hall and severe punishment when a student gets caught cheating.

SEB is mostly used for exams on student owned devices, by estimate approximately 80% of all of the estimated 2-3 million single exams performed using SEB per year worldwide. Not many cases of cheating are reported. Surely not more than with classic exams.

Full disclosure: I’m the project leader and lead developer for Safe Exam Browser 

In reply to Daniel Schneider

Hallo Daniel

It is always good to be talking to the source!
wink

In fact, I had a look at SEB a long time ago, then BYOD was not a topic. In our computer labs SEB worked well. Then there was a long pause, now both topics have arrived in one package.

Anyway, back to what you wrote:
> That’s nonsense.
What exactly is the nonsense. I touched quite a few points in my post. They all can't be nonsense. They made perfect sense to me.

> People concentrating only on the possible technical means of cheating when doing exams on electronic devices

Are you talking about me? If you've read my post, you would have seen that I am not. Read,
>> As far as BYOD goes, either you stand behind the candidates during the exam or go to expensive proprietary supplier of a proctoring service.

> Cheating in other ways (cheat sheets, smuggle a mobile phone with Bluetooth earpiece, smart watch etc.) is much easier and you can just prevent it by a code of honesty, good proctors/invigilators in the exam hall and severe punishment when a student gets caught cheating.

Did I say something different?

> SEB is mostly used for exams on student owned devices, by estimate approximately 80% of all of the estimated 2-3 million single exams performed using SEB per year worldwide.

That is surprising. I should look at SEB in connection with BYOD one of these days. But honestly, with BOYD alone we have plenty of headaches that I am not too inclined to try new things out in the near future. Sorry!

P.S. Saw your other post https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=361974&parent=1523205. It has sufficient information for me. Thanks!

by Daniel Schneider -

Hallo Visvanath

I meant the first part of your last sentence "If you have control over the device, and the examination is conducted in a controlled space (lab, classroom) only then SEB is a feasible and a good solution.". But I apologize for the word "nonsense", that was not appropriate.

I understood that as a general statement that BYOD can never be secure, and as an attack on SEB ("only then SEB is a feasible solution"), which our experiences contradict. You're right that BYOD can never be 100% secure and that environments with managed devices offer more security. But unfortunately it's not feasible that all universities and schools have exam rooms with hundreds of devices. And as BYOD is the general trend, we have to work on delivering as secure BYOD environments as possible. On desktop operating systems that's a tough business and a kind of cat-and-mouse game (we close security holes as they get discovered and that goes on and on). But the OS companies realized that secure e-assessment is very important for the education sector, so there is a lot going on. iOS already has a very secure BYOD kiosk mode (since iOS 9.3.2), ChromeOS at least for managed ChromeBooks. Microsoft and Apple are working on improvements in Windows 10 and macOS to support lockdown/kiosk applications. So I'm quite optimistic about BYOD for e-assessment also in the future. 

Maybe I understood your point wrong, of course you're completely right that proctoring is necessary and that exams taken at home can hardly ever be secure enough. That's also our point, we neither recommend nor support remote exams. Remote proctoring might be a business model, but I currently wouldn't try any kind of high stakes exams without human proctors and examinees sitting in an exam hall.

Regarding BYOD exams, yes, there are plenty of headaches especially in the beginning (and depending on the state of the private devices used), but with good organization, support for students and around 10% of spare university devices it works. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

Hi Chris

Don't worry about 'nonsense'. Nothing wrong with the word itself, just its usage was vague. Now you have clarified it, I see my point which you don't agree: In "If you have control over the device, and the examination is conducted in a controlled space (lab, classroom) only then SEB is a feasible and a good solution." you say the first condition "If you have control over the device" is wrong.

Fair enough. It could well be my ignorance. As I already said, my SEB times were long ago. And personally I am busy with other things related to BYOD (and not related to on-line examinations). But colleague are. I will recommend them to try SEB. In fact, I ran a search on moodle.org for SEB and found plenty of references, promising ones. Thanks for keeping up the dynamics of this FOSS project. (For the benefit of those who are new, their website https://safeexambrowser.org has all the information.)

by Joseph Liaw -

+1 to Daniel and the amazing SEB team for sharing your great work with the Open Source Community!!!!

100% agree that technology alone cannot solve all issues involved with cheating and academic integrity, and some of it requires old-fashioned proctoring and monitoring as well as character education and having positive relationships with students....

....but using tools like SEB does allow teachers to leverage all of the benefits of technology while minimizing some of the downsides and risks, making it possible to try and do things never before possible!!!

Thanks to SEB and Moodle, we have had teachers now trying things out that were not possible before, including giving immediate, dynamic feedback during exams, allowing students to correct mistakes, and using the tool to enhance the assessment and learning experience (e.g. taking an anatomy quiz after a rat dissection and using the adaptive and interactive modes in Moodle to help facilitate discussions with lab partners in a low-stakes learning environment with multiple attempts to help each student succeed!)!

Thank you Daniel!!!

BTW, I was just wondering whether one controls the Chromebook. Ironically, although one owns the hardware, has no control over the services. Read https://www.datamation.com/open-source/open-source-vs.-chromebooks.html.

I am new to Chromebook. But I think in this sense it is similar to Android. So the answer to "Who has control?" is Google!

Re: Google for Education vs Free Software and open standards: Pros & Cons [OT]

What a coincidence! Talked about Chromebooks and education yesterday. Today I read: New Zealand Chooses Google Chromebooks Over Microsoft Windows 10 For Education
https://news.slashdot.org/story/18/10/28/2214209/new-zealand-chooses-google-chromebooks-over-microsoft-windows-10-for-education

by Daniel Schneider -

Here's an article with another perspective on Chromebooks:

EFF: Google Chromebook is still spying on grade school students

"Privacy advocates at the Electronic Frontier Foundation have again outlined how Google is successfully dumping millions of low-cost Chromebooks on U.S. schools, enabling the mass collection and storage of information on children without the consent of their parents or even the understanding of many school administrators."

You could say this article is biased, but it is based on a report by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which is highly qualified to judge privacy concerns.

In most countries in Europe it's impossible to use Chromebooks/ChromeOS in education because of the strict privacy regulations (probably it's currently only possible in some EU member states because the European Court didn't yet deal with the latest data privacy deal with the US, the last one was dismissed by the court...).

Auuch! This is a nightmare come true.

I won't discuss it here in the Quiz forum - way too off topic. But thanks for the alert!
wink
In reply to Mario Gharib

by Marie-Eve Lévesque -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

We are planning in using SEB in Moodle but the way SEB works in MacOS worries us : it seems impossible to allow only certain applications to be opened without creating a separated user account (see https://safeexambrowser.org/macosx/mac_usermanual_en.html). Our students will bring their own laptops with special software installed (for example Antidote, WordQ). Since these are students with disabilities, it's important that we allow these software (but only the software we will list). This doesn't seem a problem with Windows, but impossible on MacOS.

Have some of you used SEB in a similar context?

For the moment it seems to us a big CON for SEB.

In reply to Marie-Eve Lévesque

by Daniel Schneider -

Do you know any other secure kiosk browser which supports using the software you mentioned during exams? Maybe this is not at all possible in macOS, as the exam still should be running in a secure environment, so students can't start other apps.

by Marie-Eve Lévesque -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

You are right, maybe it is not possible.

We don't have a better option for the moment, and except this point, everything in SEB seems the perfect solution.

We are still thinking about all the implications, but probably we will use SEB anyway. The way to use it on MacOS still have to be documented in our workflow.

In reply to Marie-Eve Lévesque

Hi Marie-Eve

We face the same problem due to a different reason: The students use various software, for example Integrated Development Environments (IDE) for programming, which they need for the exam too. We could have done it in our lab computers but as also in your case we are full in to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD). The combination beats the SEB, so far. I must admit that I haven't spent much time on SEB.

by Danishka Navin -
In my case we have both MCQ and Practical question paper.
So, students required to use several apps in the system other than the browser.
In reply to Danishka Navin

Distributed on-line examinations which can be reimported to a central server

Hi Danishka

This refers to the idea discussed previously under "How to replicate in moodle?" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=373346, right? If so, this goes beyond simple pros and cons of SEB https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=361974. You might want to start a new thread or request the moderator to split this discussion. I gave this post a new title, which I believe summarizes what you intend to do.

by Daniel Schneider -

When using third party applications in exams, you need to use some kind of controlled operating system environment. You need to make sure that the file system is cleaned before the exam and doesn't contain private files and that Internet access for all applications is restricted to the exam server. That's something no lockdown solution can achieve reliably without the operating system being configured in such a way.

So you can either used managed PCs with a special setup for exams. But then your system administrators need to set up these machines with a reliable deployment system or network boot. They also need to monitor and maintain this system very well, especially for making sure that everything still works correctly after each time the setup of each computer is switched (for example from regular computer lab setup to exam setup). 

That's why we at ETH Zurich use virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) for all exams where full Windows third party applications are used in exams. SEB secures the local machine, so only the virtual desktop can be accessed (and not locally installed applications). In the VDI desktops all allowed applications are installed, but the file system doesn't contain student data and Internet access is restricted. We have a German description of this SEB/VDI environment and an English technical document about the software and hardware used.

The VDI solution has quite high hardware and software license requirements, but it is much easier to handle and more reliable than doing all of that directly on managed computers. It also works with BYOD, in this case the VMware Horizon View HTML Access feature can be used, so that SEB on the student computer displays the remote virtual desktop in a full screen browser window. Given an enough stable network connection, this solution has a surprisingly good performance.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Aurélien Besson -
+1 SEB and Daniel Schneider

VDI is the best way and open new possibilities. We plan to test SEB on VDI, short resum

1. student use own laptop (before exam, he should install SEB just one time and optionnal VMware client)
  2. student launch SEB on his laptop and automaticly connect to VDI in kiosk mode (use VMware client or VMware horizon html access)
  3. in the new environment, start another SEB configured for an exam

Simple like this