Will moving a student between two synced cohorts un-enroll them from their previous courses?

Will moving a student between two synced cohorts un-enroll them from their previous courses?

by Krisha Moeller -
Number of replies: 1

Hello! I have have what might be bit of a complicated question (thank you so much to anyone who can help me review this scenario)...

We are a charter school network that works with a population of high risk students. Many of our students are "transient," meaning that they can travel great distances, and as a result, they tend to frequently switch between schools within our charter school network...

So I have created cohort groups for each of our schools in our network, and I am syncing them to be auto-enrolled in certain courses that all the students at these schools are required to take. 

I have also developed a way for these students to be automatically placed into their current cohort (for their current school) in Moodle from our SIS data. This means if a student happens to switch between schools within our charter network, they will automatically be moved to the correct cohort in Moodle (to reflect which school they are at currently).

However, I'm not sure how this will affect their previous enrollments (if at all). So take this example:

1. School Cohort #1 and School Cohort #2 are both synced to be auto-enrolled (with the Student role) in the exact same course called "English 101." 
  2. All students in School Cohort #1/School Cohort #2 also have their enrollment in this course automatically synced with a Group called "School Group #1" or "School Group #2," respectively.
  3. Now let's say a student named John Smith was at a school, "School Cohort #1," and hence was enrolled as a student in English 101 (also in a Group called "School Group #1). John completed half of this course when he suddenly had to move to another school, "School Cohort #2" (also synced with the same enrollment settings for the same course, but with the Group title of "School Group #2"). 
  4. Would John Smith lose access to any of the work he did in his English 101 course when he moves to his new school? I'm assuming the answer is no, since his enrollment status in the course hasn't actually changed (he basically would just move to a new Group in the course, after moving to the new Cohort, which is auto-synced/enrolled in the same course), but I just wanted to double-check. 
(In other words, this process won't un-enroll him and then re-enroll him into the same course, would it? And if so, what happens to a student who is un-enrolled and then re-enrolled into the same course? Would this process restore the work they had previously done before being un-enrolled? I hope the answer is yes, but I just want to double-check.)

Also, let's take a different example:

1. Let's say the students in School Cohort #2 are NOT enrolled in the same class (English 101) as School Cohort #1. 
  2. In this case, if John Smith moves from School Cohort #1 (auto-synced/enrolled in English 101) to School Cohort #2 (NOT auto-synced/enrolled in English 101), would he lose his enrollment status in (i.e., be un-enrolled from) the English 101 course and have to be re-enrolled manually? I'm hoping the answer is no, but I just wanted to double-check.
In either case, my goal is just that I do not want students to suddenly lose access to a course that they had been working on when they switch between schools in our network. 

Thank you all so very much for your support with my questions! smile

Best Regards,

Krisha

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Krisha Moeller

Re: Will moving a student between two synced cohorts un-enroll them from their previous courses?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It will unenroll and then reenroll him but the grades are linked to the student - just make sure you have restore grades on reenrollment setting checked.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)