Email from forum not displaying correctly

Email from forum not displaying correctly

by Ronan Smith -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

When posts are submitted to course forums in my Moodle site, an equals sign replaces several letters throughout the resulting automatically generated email (see attached). Also, the photo of the person posting the mesage fails to appear in the email.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ronan.

Attachment screenshot.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ronan Smith

Re: Email from forum not displaying correctly

by David Burton -
I too had this problem. I then found this bug in the moodle bug database, which describes the problem in depth.

Basically, to enable compatibility with most mail servers, it uses an old method of encoding 8bit characters to fit into a 7bit SMTP stream. This has a 78 character limit, so = are inserted to split the message up. The image and links do not work because they also have characters replaced with = signs.

I managed to fix it on our mail server by changing the $mail->encoding line in moodlelib from 'quoted-printable' to '8bit'. Other than this, you can change to plain text encoding (which we did while i investigated)

Maybe in a later version of moodle, this should be an option in the admin variables page to go alongside the SMTP options.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Burton

Re: Email from forum not displaying correctly

by Ronan Smith -

David,

Thanks a million for the advice. I changed the $mail->encoding line in moodlelib from 'quoted-printable' to '8bit', and it now appears to be working fine.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Ronan.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)