Using "Hidden" resources

Using "Hidden" resources

by Luke Jeffery -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I was just wondering if any one knew of a way that I can allow student to view hidden resources? I need to explain this first or I'm going to get very basic instructions back.

I have a lesson set up and within that, on one of the pages I have embedded a forum. I don't want the students to see the forum before entering the lesson and would only like them to be able to access the forum from within the lesson. The issue is: if I hide the forum, the embedded frame only shows a message stating that the forum is hidden. I have gotten over this by using activity tracking, but I don't want the forum to be visible after accessing the lesson.

I hope that made sense, I will try to clarify if not,

Luke

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luke Jeffery

Re: Using "Hidden" resources

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

We used to be able to change permissions for students in a course, and have those permissions revert to normal once the student leaves the course. I have not done it since the introduction of v2 but I am sure that it would not be changed. If you go into your course, then Users > Permissions, you should be able to override the preset permissions to whatever you want. Just add in a student that you have the password for and test it with that ID before allowing anyone else access. 

In reply to Luke Jeffery

Re: Using "Hidden" resources

by Lindy Klein -

Hi Luke,

Could you perhaps use the Orphan Activities topic area?  I would create the forum, leave it visible to students, and move it to the Orphan activities area.  This way, students cannot see the forum on the front page of your course, but they can access it from within your lesson.

There's a little bit of information on Orphaned Activities here: http://docs.moodle.org/21/en/Course_settings#Number_of_weeks.2Ftopics

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Lindy