Simplify Time/date settings when a course changes timeslot.

Simplify Time/date settings when a course changes timeslot.

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 0

Given that I could have two courses in two semesters and that semester-to-semester the day of week or time frame can change, I could have as many as 3400 changes to make. I imagine that full time instructors who benefit from not having their class periods change will rarely have this problem.

2 semesters of 17 weeks each, * 2 courses, meeting 2 times a week, 5 resources per class period and 5 entries for time/date changes =  3400 changes.

My solution:

Create a form to populate Preset Names with time/date settings and enter a user defined name for the Preset.

Then one can use an "Add More Presets" to continue creating these presets.  A scrollable form will show as many presets created.

In every resource, a pull down Select menu will contain a list of the Preset Names in the Select field that were created for this course.

Once selected, the corresponding fields will be filled in accordingly. For me, 25 presets will cover most groups of settings for one week and repeated over the semester. One does not have to use a preset for unique settings and then one would enter the data as we do now.

The best part of this is that when a course changes, all one has to do is adjust the preset values and all corresponding settings will change automatically.  Some creativity can make the presets appear in a useful and sorted order.

My choice to times and dates may not make sense in this example but the idea is there.

Thoughts/discussion appreciated.

Average of ratings: -