Failure of upgrade moodle 3.3.1-91- Stuck in maintenance

Failure of upgrade moodle 3.3.1-91- Stuck in maintenance

by Victoria Tsolidou -
Number of replies: 11

Dear all, 

I am using Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 . During Moodle upgrade, am receiving "Updating an installation of moodle 3.3.1-91 for greeceleansixsigma.gr has failed:

• Non-zero exit status returned by script."

My moodle http://www.greeceleansixsigma.gr/moodle/login/index.php is stuck into maintenance mode and cannot take it out. Have tried all the possible solutions as stated in the https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=245299 but with no success. 

Should I uninstall moodle and reinstall it again? Would that solve the issue?

Can you please assist?

All the best, 

Victoria

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Victoria Tsolidou

Re: Failure of upgrade moodle 3.3.1-91- Stuck in maintenance

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

First, please find some other way to share what you see other than a word doc.

*all* of the methods for disabling the maintenance mode shared on the link you've referenced do work ... I just tested again with a Moodle 3.3.2+ and all continue to work.

Perhaps the easiest for you is the editing of config.php and adding the following line:

$CFG->maintenance_enabled=0;

Insert the line above, before the line that shows:

require_once(__DIR__ . '/lib/setup.php');

But, am not at all sure that will fix IF it failed to upgrade.   Not sure I've seen 'Non zero exit status returned by script' before when upgrading as per Moodle.org recommendations - using Web or CLI. 

It appears your provider has provided a script to upgrade moodle ... unless someone here host with same provider and has Plex (or whatever the cPanel is) and tried the same thing, most of us would have no knowledge of just how that script attempts to upgrade.

Evidence of that ... the version number reported.  In version.php file of your site's /moodle/ directory, which should be moodle code, the version.php file has this: $version  = 2017051502.02

Looks nothing like 3.3.1-91.

Appears your situation is between a rock and a hard place, but for reasons given above, I'd say you'll have to get assistance from the provider.

Hope you began the process with a full site backup first.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Απάντηση: Re: Failure of upgrade moodle 3.3.1-91- Stuck in maintenance

by Victoria Tsolidou -

Hi Ken,

thank you for your reply, unfortunately editing the config.php didn't solve the problem. Have contacted the provider already in order to see if there is another alternative from their end.

Fortunately I have a full site backup.

All the best, Victoria

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Failure of upgrade moodle 3.3.1-91- Stuck in maintenance

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Like I said, that error is coming from the script that attempts to upgrade ... it's not a typical moodle error/screen and access to the moodle is unfortunately blocked via the maintenance mode.   Or is it?  

I take it that you also tried using direct url to /admin/ and logging on.   That should work ... after logging on there would be a 'site is in maintenance mode' link in your dashboard just under your pic.

Did you type what it says in the text box for setting up and running maintenance mode?   If you didn't, then it's on providers end.

Do you have access to apache error logs?   Those can provide clue.

Do you have ssh access to the server?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Re: Failure of upgrade moodle 3.3.1-91- Stuck in maintenance

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Was this one of those Moodle installers or did you upgrade manually?  

In reply to Emma Richardson

Απάντηση: Re: Failure of upgrade moodle 3.3.1-91- Stuck in maintenance

by Victoria Tsolidou -

Hi Emma, it was a Moodle installer through Plesk.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ahh, the dreaded installers...unfortunately we have no idea what they do.  I would highly recommend avoiding them and learning how to manually upgrade.

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Victoria,

Your Moodle site appears to be running again. Did you resolve your issue?

Jon

In reply to Jon Witts

Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Failure of upgrade moodle 3.3.1-91- Stuck in maintenance

by Victoria Tsolidou -

Hi Jon, 

Unfortunately had to reinstall from scratch. Now trying to restore!

V.

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Failure of upgrade moodle 3.3.1-91- Stuck in maintenance

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Did you use the installer from your hosting provider again or did you install the manual way?

Jon

In reply to Jon Witts

Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Failure of upgrade moodle 3.3.1-91- Stuck in maintenance

by Victoria Tsolidou -

Hi, I did it manually this time!

V.

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: Failure of upgrade moodle 3.3.1-91- Stuck in maintenance

by Jon Witts -

I hope you can get your data restored!