User Report - Calculated weight column not showing weights for a few students and in select courses

User Report - Calculated weight column not showing weights for a few students and in select courses

by Yogesh Nahar -
Number of replies: 1
Hello Fellow Moodlers,

I have come across a very strange behavior in the User Report (Gradebook). The environment I have setup is:

Moodle v3.2.3 (Build 20170508)
Host - Inmotion VPS
PHP - 5.6.31
MySQL - 5.5.5.10 | All PHP extensions installed.

Behavior #1: In one of the course gradebook, I have various categories like projects, weeks, etc. Each assignment and manual grade item (like attendance) has a weight assigned to it. I have a formula setup to calculate the weekly totals and category totals. The weights are displayed for a few students in the user report in the calculated weight column. But the strange thing is that for a few students in the same course with the same role (student) it does not display the calculated weights. Not able to figure this one out. 

Behavior #2: Similarly I have another course with the same exact gradebook setup in terms of categories, sub-categories, etc. and also the same gradebook settings for user report, but the calculated weights column doesn't display the weights at all for all students in the user report. Been trying to figure this one out too but not with much luck. 

In the gradebook setup page, I have the settings enabled for user report as per Screenshot 1. The user report displays the student name | calculated weight | grade | range | percentage | feedback. Everything seems fine except the behavior where for a few students the calculated weight doesn't show up even though they have a grade or feedback assigned for the assignment or manual grade item. 

Has anyone else come across this issue? Is there any other setting I have overlooked here? I don't think it has anything to do with role capability. I also have the gradebook settings in the admin menu -> report settings -> user report set to show the calculated weights as default.

If any fellow Moodler could provide some direction on how to debug this, I'd really appreciate your help. 

Thank you to the community! 

Attachment gradebook-setup.png
Attachment user-no-weights.png
In reply to Yogesh Nahar

Re: User Report - Calculated weight column not showing weights for a few students and in select courses

by Yogesh Nahar -

Also, the students authenticate and register themselves using Google Apps SSO. They also self-enroll and there are no groups in any courses. 

Don't know if this helps but wanted to put it out there. 

Thanks again to anybody who can point in a direction to debug this. I have run out of all options.

I might upgrade the staging site to the v3.2.5 and see if that resolve the issue in the mean time. I checked the logs for 3.2.5 but nothing mentioned about this behavior.