Restrict Access By Grade Points

Restrict Access By Grade Points

by Joe Mee -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I am wanting to restrict access to a certain activity, however i want to restrict by grade points, not by percentage.

Could you let me know if this is possible please? Or a work around etc?

We are currently on Moodle 3.1.

Many thanks

Joe

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joe Mee

Re: Restrict Access By Grade Points

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

How specific are your grade points? How is a percentage being calculated and rounded? If the activities required to be completed have a total value of 100 points, then does it matter? If the activities required to be completed are a proper factor of 100, say 50 points or 25 points, then again, it won't matter. If the activities to be completed have an odd point value of say 39, or 43, for example, then you have a problem. If you are using the IB calculation schema, then you have a serious problem. I would suggest that you consider the idea of ensuring that the completed activities awarded grades can only be whole numbers and points for all required activities total to either a factor of 100, or 100 itself. That will save you a lot of messing around I suspect. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Joe Mee -

Hi Colin,

So we are wanting to use grading in a slightly different way to how it is probably meant to work.

Just to explain what we are wanting to do - we have a course with the attendance plugin installed on, and we would like staff to self-record their own CPD (Professional Development). Staff will be able to go onto this, log their session which they undertook, and log the hours in which they completed.

Now their is not really an end cap to how many hours they can complete. For example, if Staff A logs a 4 hour session, this will log 4 points on the grade book. We have then set a Bronze, Silver & Gold label up, which represent a certain amount of hours of CPD done. Once, for example, a member of staff has achieved a minimum of 4 hours (points), then the bronze label will unlock, and can be ticked for completion, therefore awarding them a bronze badge.

So i was wondering if there is any way which we can just restrict access on those labels by using the points, rather than percentage, as because their isn't really an end target, the percentages could vary a lot, depending on how many sessions each staff puts in.

I hope this makes some sort of sense, and many thanks for your reply.

Joe

In reply to Joe Mee

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Ahhh, yes, I can see your problem. I don't think this is achievable currently, but it wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong. This is a rather elaborate variation on the current attendance (and grading I suspect) plugin/s. I have no suggestions except perhaps, if you have the opportunity and the skill base, to self develop a plugin to do what you want. There is plenty of documentation on how to do this, and you would get a lot of support in the Developer's Forum, I am sure. 

The alternatives are to use a new course, restricting access to Staff only, with things like a Forum to discuss upcoming learning and development opportunities, a second forum to review completed workshops/PD/conferences, a database to record hours and so on, as well as other activities to support them. Policy documentation about attending CPD is also helpful here. This is likely what I would do if asked for something similar. I would make it something that all staff could access and try to develop a flow-on effect for the people who would gain something from that information.   

Sorry that this is not much help and likely something you have already considered, but maybe someone else has a better idea.