Problems setting up group activities

Problems setting up group activities

by Elisa Farinacci -
Number of replies: 2

HI everyone,

I just recently started working with moodle and I have encountered some troubles with setting up group activities.

I have created groupings and groups, then in the activity settings I have selected separate groups and then I selected the grouping the I want to assign to the activity.

When I save and return to the course next to the category groups it says 0.

When one student turned in the group project, it appeared as he turned it in for all the students not only for his group.

how can I fix this? what am I doing wrong?

thank you all

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elisa Farinacci

Re: Problems setting up group activities

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. Perhaps it would help to read through the documentation on Groups and also to look at the connected pages which you will see in a block on the right when you access the Groups documentation page. Then feel free to come back and ask any questions smile

I have a suspicion your student submitted his work on behalf of everyone because of a misunderstanding with group assignment settings. Here is the direct link to Group submission settings.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Problems setting up group activities

by Elisa Farinacci -

Dear Mary,

thank you for your reply. I have been looking at the group settings link that you have sent me, however I am still a bit confused on what group assignment setting I must have done wrong.

Here is the whole scenario for one course there are 2 group activities that must be done by two different groupings (meaning that the same students have to work in different groups for the two activities)

in the groups section I have 

Group A, B, C, D, E that have to work on activity 1 and thus are part of grouping eLearning_1

Group 1, 2,3,4,5 that have to work on activity 2 and are part of grouping eLearning_2

the first activity's settings are the following

group submission setting: students submit in groups, require group to make submission, grouping for students group none (I am not allowed to change that setting)

common module settings: group mode separate groups, grouping eLearning_1

Restrict access: must match grouping eLearning _1

In the gradebook shows 0 groups as you can see in the image below.

what do you think? 

thank you so much for your help