How can I student reduce the list of recently overdue activities in the course overview block?

How can I student reduce the list of recently overdue activities in the course overview block?

by Hartmut Scherer -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

I am using Moodle 3.3.1 with the theme Fordson. I like the timeline feature of the course overview block for present or future activities but I find the list of "recently overdue" activities quite annoying and least helpful for activities with a cut-off date (see screen capture below). What is the purpose of showing students overdue assignments when they can no longer submit anything?

recently overdue activities in course overview block

Does anybody know how to configure the course overview block in such a way that it will display a reduced or no list of "Recently overdue" activities for students? If "recently overdue" cannot be eliminated, can the activities and assignments be reduced with a setting for "number of days" or "number of weeks"? 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

Re: How can I student reduce the list of recently overdue activities in the course overview block?

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi all,

I found out how I can reduce the list of recently overdue activities in the course overview block. This list is set to the last 14 days by default. In the following four files, search for "14" and replace it with any number larger than zero that you prefer.

blocks/myoverview/amd/src/event_list.js

blocks/myoverview/amd/src/event_list_by_course.js

blocks/myoverview/templates/course-event-list.mustache

blocks/myoverview/templates/event-list.mustache

Purge all caches and you should see the difference in the course overview block.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

Re: How can I student reduce the list of recently overdue activities in the course overview block?

by William Stewart -

Do these 4 files also have the values for the number of assignments shown? We operate on a quarter system, to the 30 days of upcoming assignments is pretty overwhelming (and somewhat counter productive then) for our students. We have about 49 calendar days per quarter but 35 days of class time. I'd much rather only have the next 7 days of assignments shown vs. 30. 30 makes more sense for a 16 week semester perhaps.

In reply to William Stewart

by Hartmut Scherer -

There is already a list with the title "Next 7 days." But if your students shouldn't see anything further in the future, you may have to comment out the respective lines. Please note that I haven't tested the following suggestion. Before you apply the changes, you should test this first in a test or local installation.

I found the list of files that configure the course overview block HERE. When you search for "30" you will get 11 occurrences. Now you know that you only need to configure the following two files:

blocks/myoverview/templates/course-event-list.mustache

blocks/myoverview/templates/event-list.mustache

When you open "course-event-list.mustache" and search for "30" you will see this:

course-event-list original

After commenting out the respective lines your file should look like this:

course-event-list revised

Do something similar for event-list.mustache, the second file. I want to mention again that I haven't tested these changes.