Can't create User Accounts

Can't create User Accounts

by David Challoner -
Number of replies: 8

We have Moodle 3.1.1 running on a Windows Server not sure on php version.  There is a SQL server being used for the database.

We have been using LDAP for a long time to create new users, however this year we are having issues and new students keep getting an http 500 error page.  I've tried opening the manual user creation page and also uploading a file into the bulk user account creation page both of which then result in the same http 500 page error.  I've turned full debugging on, put get nothing on any page on my way through.  I've checked the files in /user and /admin/user with files from the backups to check this out.

Old users who change their password on our network need to use the new password to login in to moodle so the LDAP connection seems to be working fine.

We have changed the new users username format to include a period, but as I can't create a manual user I doubt that is an issue. 

I can create activities in courses and create new courses so I doubt it is an issue with a link to the database either.

In summary:

1) New LDAP users can't log in.

2) Manual User Creation Page doesn't load.

3) Bulk user method crashes after file is uploaded.

I need suggestions on what could be causing the error ASAP!

Server error log doesn't suggest any particular issue either.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Challoner

Re: Can't create User Accounts

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

A 500 error *must* be logged somewhere (assuming your web server is properly configured). Check your web server's error log. It's going to save a lot of time knowing what the underlying error is. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by David Challoner -

Got the debugging to give me an error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function theme_essential_get_setting() in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\theme\essential\renderers.php on line 37

However I've just updated essential and adaptable to the latest versions on here.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Switch your theme to a core theme (e.g. Boost) and see if the problem goes away...

by David Challoner -

Hmm trying to go to select theme throws the same error so I can't try another theme.

We use the adaptable theme rather than essential.

by Howard Miller -

In which case add this line in your config.php

$CFG->theme = 'boost';

It's just to isolate the theme as the problem. Are you *sure* you have the latest/correct version of the theme?

by David Challoner -

Went with Clean theme as I don't have boost in 3.1.1.

Got the same error - I have a nagging feeling that I've had a similar issue before.

To confirm I downloaded today the version of essential and adaptable for v3.1 and copied over all the theme directory files from the base 3.1.8 that I downloaded today.

by David Challoner -

Howard thank you for you time on this one.

I've decided to delete essential as we don't use it and it seems to have fixed the problem! Fingers crossed!