Orphaned plugin

Orphaned plugin

by Tia J -
Number of replies: 6

Hi!

Is it possible to adopt an orphaned plugin so as to bring it up to date with Moodle if the maintainer is no longer available? I have no way to reach the developer through Moodle, and the person whom he originally wrote the plugin for is unable to contact him. I reviewed the documentation at https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Plugins_adoption_programme, but he's no longer even logging into Moodle. I'm just bringing it up to Moodle 3 coding guidelines and PHP 7 standards, there are very few people who use it according to the stats, but I'd like to help anyone else who does. What's my next step?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tia J

Re: Orphaned plugin

by James McLean -
Assuming the code is licensed appropriately, you could simply fork it and call it plugin_v2 for example.
In reply to James McLean

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

you could simply fork

Please do not fork unless there are really good reasons for that. It is better for everyone if developers co-operate on a single plugin, rather than having multiple partially-maintained forks. Thanks for understanding.

In reply to Tia J

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Best to contact David Mudrak, who looks after the plugins ecosystem. (He will probably see this post and reply in due course.)

In reply to Tia J

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tia. What plugin is it?

In reply to David Mudrák

by Tia J -

The enrol/cvent plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/enrol_cvent

Thanks, everyone!

In reply to Tia J

by David Mudrák -

Right. So according his profile description, Matt Oquist (the current maintainer) left the Moodle community long ago. It is not unfair to steal the plugin from him in such situation. I'll be more than happy to see if the plugin is adopted and maintained by you, Tia.

Can you please share what is the URL of your code clone with your recent additions / updates?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)