Before you post... read this...

Before you post... read this...

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 26
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Do not be put off posting but here are some things that might help you help yourself (or help us help you quicker)...

If you are asking for help, try to provide the following if you can (and if it is relevant)...

• What version of Moodle is this (it's in the version.php file or the Site administration > Notifications page at the bottom)?
  • If you've had an error message, what is it? Please copy and paste it exactly?
  • What is your operating system, what web server are you using, what database and what are the versions of everything (including PHP)?
  • How was Moodle installed - especially if you used the likes of Softaculous, Bitnami etc. (clue - *don't* use these installers!)
  • Check https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases. Is your version of Moodle supported? If it's not completely broken, consider upgrading. ALWAYS take a full backup first. 
  • What did you do? What instructions did you follow? What did you expect ? What went wrong?
  • If it was working and now it isn't. What changed? Something did - even if it doesn't seem connected or relevant.
  • If you're not using a core theme, switch to Boost and try again (loads of problems are caused by broken themes)
  • Turn on debugging, check your logs. See the following section on Debugging...
  • If you are talking about a system (of any description) that is not Moodle you may want to give links and/or a brief explanation. We don't all live in the same country or work in the same field. 

Logs, messages and Debugging...

If you have a "white page of death", "Error 500", missing/broken things, an error message of any description or just weird behaviour the first thing to do is...

• Purge all caches if you can - see Developer_tools
  • Switch on debugging in Moodle - see Debugging
  • Reproduce the error
  • Do you see additional messages and "traces". If it doesn't immediately solve the problem please post them into your question in this forum
  • Check your web server's error log. The location will vary depending on operating system and web server software. Google should be able to tell you. If you're stuck please ask here with full details of your system. On hosted sites it may not be accessible to you at all and you may need to ask your support. 
  • Switch on your browser's Javascript Console. Are there any *red* error messages (you can usually safely ignore warnings)

And last but not least...

• If you get good advice please 'rate' the response as 'Useful'. Useful points earn badges big grin
Average of ratings: Useful (38)
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Before you post... read this...

by kamesh veerachamy -

Hi Howard Miller,

I am a moodle developer. I have posted some issues in moodle forum for past three years. I gave few details on forum. Here now I should give proper

details in forum. Thanks for your valuable points.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Howard,

Can I add to this list please?

In reading posts here there are lots that really belong in other forums where you'd be more likely to get a reply from people who understand the given area.  Therefore before posting, please look at the other forums and consider which would be better for your question.

There is lots of information about this....

But don't post duplicates or a moderator (like me and Howard) will: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moderator_guidelines#Posting_in_multiple_forums.  If you think a post belongs in two forums, post in the main forum for the subject matter and then post a link to that post in the other forum.

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mikael Kurula -

Hi,

I saw these instructions only after posting. Fortunately they seem not to apply to my post.

Just wanting to point out that it says on the Moodle in English course page that people unsure where to post should use this forum. I am usually unsure if I post in the right place or not, and then it would be helpful if some more experienced user could point in the right direction.

Thanks!

Mikael

In reply to Mikael Kurula

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That's quite correct. Please post here and someone will move your post if required. 

Don't be put off posting but you get a quicker/better reply if you (try to) post in the right place and think about if you are giving enough information to replicate/understand your problem. 

by Edward Phan -

Hi,

I have posted a question in the forum but I didnt get any replies, is there a more appropriate place for my question?

Thanks

In reply to Edward Phan

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

There are now 2 replies to your post. It was moved into the quiz forum and two very experienced Moodlers have responded. We are all volunteers on here with everyday work and life commitments. People respond as and when they can. If you need more urgent support please consider using a Moodle partner.

by John Shaver -

Hi Howard, I'm a beginner developer and I just want to let you know that I like the way you explain and that's a good point of view.

These details are very helpful.Yes

Svar: Before you post... read this...

by Dejan Marlovic -

Hi, 

I have accidentally disclosed personal information in a post can you please show me how to remove the details. You can see in the bottom of my answer.  

my post is :

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=345561&parent=1425735

Kind Regards 

Dejan

In reply to Dejan Marlovic

Re: Svar: Before you post... read this...

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I've removed the part of the post that I think contains the private details for you. Let us know if you want more removed.

by Marian Dreiling -

Thanks for these advises.. it will help me getting started. smile

by Narelle Moir -
Hi, I posted my question a week ago, with no replies, wondering if I've put it in the wrong place?

by Prince Namdev -

I am new here in the Moodle community. I am very much interested in learning Moodle consultation. What is the best way to start from beginning?

I will also share useful information with all community members as i am a regular reader of Moodle post from various writers.

Can anyone list here top blogs for Moodle learning and what are the basic need which can help me to get master in Moodle.

In reply to Prince Namdev

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
It doesn't get better than https://docs.moodle.org.
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Following people on Twitter is also good e.g.
https://twitter.com/moodle
and this chap is awesome
https://twitter.com/marcusavgreen
Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Marcus! A little bit of self-promotion does no harm, and you are an awesome guy indeed.Yes
Pity I don't do Twitter, Facebook etc. I'm pretty old school in my way.wink
Boring old forums, blogs, e-mail, MS-DOS...
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Twitter? I though it is for VIPs to throw mud at each other. Yesterday the match was between the president of the US and the prime minister of UK I heard. Still it is good that Moodle made it!
smile

Yes, talking of old school, same here: forums, e-mail (with hyphen), mailing lists, even https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_systems.

by Rauha Stephanus -
I just have a question on how come i have an account on moodle but i cannot see my coarses here?
In reply to Rauha Stephanus

by Howard Miller -
Because your courses aren't here. This is the site where Moodle is discussed and supported, it isn't your school or college. Speak to your tutors and get the right URL

by Kate White -
Hi Howard

Nobody has replied to my post so I was just wondering if I have missed something. It might be that nobody knows the answer, in which case is there anywhere else I can go for support? It's more of a question about functionality than an actual issue so maybe I'm in the wrong place?

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=405424#p1636493

Thanks
Kate
In reply to Kate White

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Kate, I have replied there already, it becomes difficult for most to understand the LTI, SCORM integration as not everyone on support forum is making use of it, even if handful knows about does sometimes unintentionally skip the questions asked.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Howard Miller -
Yeh - I know absolutely nothing about LTI. It's one of those "black box" just works things for me.