Deleting Content

Deleting Content

by David Duba -
Number of replies: 10

Hello,

When I am editing a course, I am unable to delete activities, bell works, or anything for that matter. When I attempt to do so, I simply get an error message that says "unknown error." I have tried to use google chrome and safari, but the error message remains the same. When I attempt to delete the content, the error message appears, the content disappears briefly, but then the content will return when the page is refreshed.

Any suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Duba

Re: Deleting Content

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Switch on Debugging (right up to Developer level). Try again. Do you see any additional messages? You may have to check your web server's error log. Hopefully, something will be logged or displayed. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by David Duba -

Thank you for your help Howard. How exactly would I turn on debugging? Would I need an understanding of the code, or can I turn it up to developer level from the Moodle site?

In reply to David Duba

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Click the link in blue - Debugging

Or Site administration > Development > Debugging

As Yogesh says, purging your caches is worth a try - Site administration > Development > Purge all caches

by David Duba -

Ok, thank you Howard! I updated the debugging reports and purged the cache. Could you tell me how to check the server for reports?

Even after updating the debugging setting, the error message still just reads "unknown error"

In reply to David Duba

by Howard Miller -

You look in your web server's error log.....  I can see what's coming next wink

And to answer the inevitable question, we need to know what the operating system is and what your web server software is?

by David Duba -

Hi Howard, thanks for not giving up on me hahaha. I'm using OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5

I'm using Safari version 10.1.1

I don't know which web server I am using, or how to access it. I think I might be using Apache or MySQL, but I wouldn't know how to access that information.

In reply to David Duba

by Howard Miller -

Do you mean that Moodle is installed locally on your Mac (which is not impossible but unusual). 

You need to access the error log on the Moodle server. Who installed Moodle and how did they do it? Are you the administrator? If you are not, you probably need to find whoever is.

by David Duba -
It is not installed locally on my mac no. And I have site administrator access. Where exactly would I find the error log in moodle?
In reply to David Duba

by Howard Miller -

You won't.... the **web server** error log. This is written by the web server software (e.g. Apache) on the web server itself.

If it's not you, you'll probably need to ask your server administrator.

In reply to David Duba

by Yogesh Nahar -

Yes. Definitely debugging and logs should give you an idea. Also in my experience sounds also like a cache issue.