Large video upload stuck on infinite loading

Large video upload stuck on infinite loading

by João Matias Godinho -
Number of replies: 11

Hi,

I'm trying to upload a few videos to my course but I'm having a problem: I'm creating pages and trying to upload videos using the "MEDIA" option, although, every time I try, the upload gets stuck and I keep seeing a loading .GIF infinitely (image for reference). I have tried with a smaller video with same codec and it was uploaded (5MB video). Larger ones don't seem to finish... ever! And by larger, I mean 10MB and upwards. I have already set the max_size_limit for 128MB and the videos are no bigger than 50MB. So, what else could I do?

I noticed that, while uploading, you can see on the bottom-left corner of the screen (Google Chrome) that it goes up to 100%, then it says waiting for domain.xyz... Then nothing happens.

error

Running Moodle 3.3 here.

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to João Matias Godinho

Re: Large video upload stuck on infinite loading

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

- Check the course file upload limit (in your course settings) is also 128MN

- Turn on Debugging (right up to developer) and try again. Check your web server's error log for any errors or warnings that might help. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by João Matias Godinho -

Just checked, the course file upload limit is also set at 128MB.

Turned on Debugging as suggested and no errors come up on the page during file upload.

On Chrome developer console, I did find 2 errors that might have something to do with it?

POST domain.xyz/repository/repository_ajax.php?action=upload 500 (Internal Server Error) 

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'msg' of null

at FilePickerHelper.complete (filepicker.js:57)

at Y.Subscriber._notify (yui_combo.php?rollup/3.17.2/yui-moodlesimple.js:13680)

at Y.Subscriber.notify (yui_combo.php?rollup/3.17.2/yui-moodlesimple.js:13709)

at Y.CustomEvent._notify (yui_combo.php?rollup/3.17.2/yui-moodlesimple.js:13372)

at Y.CustomEvent._procSubs (yui_combo.php?rollup/3.17.2/yui-moodlesimple.js:13498)

at Y.CustomEvent.fireSimple (yui_combo.php?rollup/3.17.2/yui-moodlesimple.js:13465)

at Y.CustomEvent._fire (yui_combo.php?rollup/3.17.2/yui-moodlesimple.js:13447)

at IO.fire (yui_combo.php?rollup/3.17.2/yui-moodlesimple.js:14600)

at IO._evt (yui_combo.php?rollup/3.17.2/yui-moodlesimple.js:23686)

at IO.complete (yui_combo.php?rollup/3.17.2/yui-moodlesimple.js:23722)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Read the bit about "check your web server's error log" then go and do it wink

Moodle's ajax handler for the repository is throwing a 500 error. You need to find this in the server logs as the error in the dev console tells you nothing useful.  Well - we know were to look now. 

by João Matias Godinho -

By activating the option to show PHP errors in HTML, shouldn't those errors come up instead of being logged in the web server's log? I have tried both with this option on and off and no errors come up anyway.

And well, I would have checked it by now if I could, but I have no access to it. I'm simply working on the Moodle installation, making the courses and uploading the files. Everything web server-related is out of reach for me. I would have to check with our webmaster later.

Is there anything else we can try?

by Howard Miller -

Not always.

Nope... you need to go and find someone who does have access to these logs. You can't diagnose problems like this without log access. It just turns into guesswork otherwise. 

by João Matias Godinho -

All right. I'll contact our webmaster and see what we can do on our end.

I'll be back later, hopefully with those logs in hand.

Thanks!

by João Matias Godinho -

Hi again, we haven't been able to find the log file you mentioned.

Where is it usually stored?

by Howard Miller -

What's the operating system? What web server software are you using? Is this some sort of hosted service?

by João Matias Godinho -

Yes. Server's running NGinx with cPanel.

That's all I know.

by Howard Miller -

At the risk of LMGTFY..... I googled 'nginx error log' and got...

https://www.nginx.com/resources/admin-guide/logging-and-monitoring/

...it just might help wink

by João Matias Godinho -

Well, we just figured out what the problem was. The main domain where our Moodle installation is hosted, is running Wordpress. Shouldn't be a problem, except we had a security plugin which was preventing bigger files from being uploaded.

Everything works fine now.

Thanks Howard!