student role gets only digest despite single email setting

student role gets only digest despite single email setting

by Mike Nodding -
Number of replies: 2

Right, I suspect this will be one where someone points out something really obvious and makes me look like an idiot, however:

Student in three sites only gets digest from announcements despite settings enabling single and digest.

Messaging settings all look ok

Forums all look ok in sites.

Gets single.email when I message or post announcements in a test site ie not these particular sites.

All (by all accounts) other students get single emails in these sites. I enrolled as student in sites and get single emails from annoucements with same settings as him.

Logs show.emails going out via Moodle server and via SMTP server, nothing getting blocked.

Nothing being filtered in email client - I've looked myself.

Have changed email.from Gmail to uni student account

Prefs in db look ok

Have reset prefs several times.

Have assembled an ikea wardrobe twice

Ok, last one I couldn't do.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Nodding

Re: student role gets only digest despite single email setting

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mike,

Forum digest settings are a user preference rather than something that you can control as administrator.

There are two places that users can control their forum digest options:

• The default preference for that user can be found in under User Menu -> .Preferences -> Forum preferences. From there you can select the user's preferred Digest option from No digest, Complete digest, and Subject only digest. You want the No digest option.
  • The second location is somewhat more hidden at the moment (it's something I want to improve). Each user can choose to override the profile-wide digest option for an individual forum. You can see that page on moodle.org here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/index.php?id=5. It is linked from the bottom of every e-mail, and can also be reached from the web UI if you are using the Activity block in the course - just select the Forums link from there.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Andrew Lyons

Re: student role gets only digest despite single email setting

by Mike Nodding -

Thanks andrew, yes i think it might.

I wasn't aware of the second setting - i was messing with his user prefs which all seemed ok to get single posts but that second setting was set to get digests for those forums.

cheers