Unpinning a post updates post modification time

Unpinning a post updates post modification time

by Andrew Lyons -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The ability to pin discussions within the Moodle forum was added in Moodle 3.1.

When pinning a discussions, the discussion appears pinned at the beginning of the discussion view, as you'd expect from the name of the feature.

However, one side-effect of post pinning is that the modification time of the post is also updated.

This is arguably correct, however when you then unpin the post it also updates the modification time which has a knock-on effect that the post continues to appear at the top of the discussion list, rather than to jump back to the time at which it was originally written.

This has been raised in MDL-58758 and I'm interested to see whether the consensus is that the time should, or should not be modified when pinning and unpinning a discussion.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Lyons

Re: Unpinning a post updates post modification time

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Interesting smile My personal feeling is that if you unpin a forum post, you are doing so because it is no longer important enough to be pinned - and so it shouldn't then appear at the top of the thread. So I think it should indeed retain its original time and go to wherever it would originally have appeared - even if that is down a long list. I await with curiosity others' opinions.