Quiz report log ip addresses

Quiz report log ip addresses

by Margaret Matthias -
Number of replies: 3

If the wrong forum, please point me in the right direction...

Two students take a quiz, suspicious because same questions correct/incorrect.  Look at the ip addresses and they are exactly the same. 

My question - does the ip address being exactly the same confirm that the same computer was used for taking the test? Or are there set ups that would present the same ip address? 

I couldn't find, in the forum, exactly how this ip address in the report is obtained.

thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Margaret Matthias

Re: Quiz report log ip addresses

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

That totally depends on where they are accessing the site from.  It is quite possible for two different computers to use the same ip address.  If they are not on the same network as the Moodle site and are accessing over the Internet but from the same location, chances are that the ip address will be the same.  If they are on the same network as the Moodle and accessing the moodle site internally, then the ip address would most likely be different.

However, just because they are on the same computer, does not mean that there was any cheating.  One student would have to log out for the other one to log in.

When you are setting up the quiz, you can randomize question and answer order which would stop students sitting next to each other to be able to copy.  However, students are pretty ingenious and could easily be taking screenshots and texting each other pictures of the questions or they could just have taken the quiz together at the same time with no supervision.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Margaret Matthias -

Thanks for the reply. 

My example was if both used the same computer say in the lab or if one borrowed the others to take the quiz or if they shared and apartment or dorm room, etc.  The individuals insist that they were in two different towns, and that each page of the quiz submitted within two minutes of each other was - A submits page 1, within two minutes B submits page 1, etc., was coincidental.  The only way I can think of that occurring with the same computer is using two browsers. 

I reminded the faculty that if shuffle had been in place it could be a deterrent but that nothing is fool proof and perhaps 'virtual' proctoring should be considered in the future.

Again, thanks for the quick response.  

In reply to Margaret Matthias

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If they claim to have taken the quiz from two different towns and the logs show them having the same ip address and it is not a local ip address (ie: they used a vpn to access the network and then logged in), then they are lying plain and simple.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)