Error in calculated Category total for student report

Error in calculated Category total for student report

дэргэд Floyd Saner -
Хариу нийтлэлийн тоо: 4

Running: Moodle 3.06

I have a gradebook with several categories, all with Natural aggregation. One category has two extra credit items.

Problem 1: The category total is 100. There are 10 10-point quizzes, plus two extra credit items.  If the student has good grades in the 10 quizzes and also gets points for the extra credit, then the category total exceeds the max of 100 points. The site is configured to allow unlimited grades - that is the way the site admin wants it.  I thought Natural aggregation would limit the maximum aggregated value to the category maximum regardless of the unlimited grades setting.  Evidently not.

Problem 2: So, to fix Problem 1, I used a calculated Category Total. The formula is:

=MIN(100,  SUM(CQ1,CQ3,CQ4,CQ5,CQ6,CQ8,CQ10,CQ11,CQ12,CQ14,EX1,EX2))

That works when an instructor views the grade book and views individual student grade reports.  However, when a logged-in student views the grade book, the total for the calculated Category Total is 161681.00 instead of the correct value. The odd thing is that the total in the category is the same for every student.

Any ideas?  Is this a bug in the way the logged-in student report calculates grades?  See the attached screenshot.

Thanksl

Floyd

Хавсралт grades.png
Floyd Saner-н хариуд

Re: Error in calculated Category total for student report

дэргэд Floyd Saner -
Floyd Saner-н хариуд

дэргэд Emma Richardson -
Documentation writers зураг Particularly helpful Moodlers зураг Plugin developers зураг

Is that column their grade or the total amount possible for the category?  

Emma Richardson-н хариуд

дэргэд Floyd Saner -

Thanks for the reply, Emma.  

That wild, large number is the student's total grade for the category. It should be MIN (100, <sum of grades in the column>).  The sum of the grades shown is 105, so the category total should show 100.

As mentioned, the odd thing is that it all works within the grade book view, and when viewing individual student grade reports with a teacher/grader login. But when you login as a student and click the Grades link it displays incorrectly. I suspect a coding error, but don't have time to dig through the code right now.

BTW, see you at the Mountain Moot?

Floyd

Floyd Saner-н хариуд

дэргэд Emma Richardson -
Documentation writers зураг Particularly helpful Moodlers зураг Plugin developers зураг

I saw another post very similar to this and it was also due to a calculated category table.  Probably is a coding error somewhere and worth a tracker entry.  I would probably try and get rid of the category calculation and do something else with the extra credit (separate category maybe?).

Planning on Mountain Moot - did you put in to present on the first day (preMoot) btw?  If not, will you join Michelle, Randy and I at our Stump the Moodlers session?