Problems with the use of moodle.php strings in modules and blocks

Problems with the use of moodle.php strings in modules and blocks

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
There is a different use of strings in modules and blocks. Some modules and strings use only own strings. Some are using strings from moodle.php.
Now there is sometimes a problem with the translation. A moodle.php string is used in different contextes. If the content of the string is ok in the english version for different contexts, it must not be ok in the translated version.

I think modules and blocks should use only their own strings. What do you think about it and what are ways that we change the use of the strings.

Ralf

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Problems with the use of moodle.php strings in modules and blocks

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> I think modules and blocks should use only their own strings.

I totally agree with you.wink
I have experienced some situation hard to translate because of using moodle.php instead.

> what are ways that we change the use of the strings.

It would be better adding a "string usage" line to "Moodle Coding Guidelines" ( /lang/en/docs/coding.html ).

Mits

by John Papaioannou -
I agree as well. It's not hard to imagine this behavior causing problems...

Maybe the translators should make a list with all current strings that present problems so that we "split" them into two or more different strings as appropriate?
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Jon,

is there a way to check this with system? Most time we see it only if there are problems in the language we are working with.

Ralf

by Robert Brenstein -
I just ran a programmatic check on use of strings from moodle.php (lang) file in any of the files in the 'moodle/mod/' directory. There are 4989 references! albeit not all of them are strings from the language file. Programmatically, I can't distinguish different uses, so a human needs to sort through this. I suspect that producing such a report for each module or block might be more useful.

Anyway, the big report is in attachment.

by sina salehi -

Hi

Yes, It also cause problem in translating moodle in persian language.

Do you now this will solve in 1.6 or not?