Adblock

Adblock

by Does This Display -
Number of replies: 4

I have a question about adblock for MoodleCloud version 3.2.

First of all, I would like to say that I really like Moodle, and I opt.in to allowing Moodle to use my questions, trials and errors to help improve.

I did take the learn.moodle course, took notes, but still I have questions.

My question is why does adblock keep coming up?

To log in, a screen comes up where I enter my site name and password.  Then a Portal comes up where I see my site name which is hyperlinked.  When I click on my site name, a new window comes up with my course.  If I click anything in the new window, I get an adblock message and am able to do nothing.  I have discovered to get around it by going back to the Portal window and clicking again on the hyperlinked site name.  The new window is replaced by a newer window with my course and then I am able to work without getting the adblock message.

But why does the adblock message keep coming up?  I have bought a clock and a tee-shirt.  I will admit that I have not yet upgraded yet - still on the free plan, but I thought that buying stuff would be a way of buying out of ads so adblock would not keep interrupting.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Does This Display

Re: Adblock

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi - to help subsidise the costs of the Free MoodleCloud package, some minimal advertising banners (Google ads) are included in the footer of your site. You can stop these by upgrading to a paid plan. The starter plan is currently 80 Australian Dollars a year.

The items you have bought (clock and tshirt) are from the Moodle shop; that is not related to the MoodleCloud paid plans.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Does This Display -

I think you explained the clock and tee - shirt are for Moodle, not for Moodle.Cloud.  Would you recommend that I revert back to using Moodle so that the clock and tee-shirt will allow me to use Moodle that is free of ads?

In reply to Does This Display

by Jon Bolton -

If you can self-host Moodle, then yes, it is free of ads and allows much more flexibility - eg. installation of plugins, more storage space (depending on your server specs obviously). But self-hosting is a LOT more work.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Rick Jerz -

I "second" what Jon has shared in his reply.

When I started using Moodle, I didn't have this MoodleCloud alternative available (it is only around 2 years old.)  So my only alternative was to self-host.  I already had a GoDaddy web-hosted server for my webpages, and I noticed that Moodle was available as a one-click installation, so I did it.  Yep, this worked for about a year or two until my moodle database outgrew the size allowed for this low cost ($5US/month) hosted server.  Also, along the way I learned about how these one-click installs made it difficult to upgrade my Moodle.  But I invested time to learning, eventually upgraded to a VPS, and learned how to install moodle from scratch.  Of course, none of this had anything to do with teaching my topic, and everything to do with managing my own server and moodle.

So as Jon says, "self-hosting is a LOT more work."

So you have many alternatives.  The two that you might first consider are: 1) Pay the $80/year for a MoodleCloud account that removes the adds but does not require you to manage a server, manage your moodle (as an instructor), or 2) Pay around $60/year to one of many companies that offer low-cost hosted servers, learn how to manage both the server and Moodle (as an administrator and instructor.)

Do you see any other alternatives (anyone, including "Does This Display.")