Enrolling students

Enrolling students

by Does This Display -
Number of replies: 3

I have a question about enrolling students in my MoodleCloud version 3.2.

First of all, I would like to say that I really like Moodle, and I opt.in to allowing Moodle to use my questions, trials and errors to help improve.

I did take the learn.moodle course, took notes, but still I have questions.

My question is what do I have to do to prevent just anyone from enrolling in my course.  I get it that I would turn off self-enrollment, but I'd rather not since I think that is an efficient method.  I think I get it that as long as students pay, it doesn't matter how many of whoever enrolls, but so far I can not figure out how to get self-enrollers to pay first.  It seems like somewhere, sometime or other I came across an alert in learn.moodle or in these forums concerning this issue - an alert with info.that would prevent spammers, etc. from logging in.  I have tried to do a search to find that discussion, but to no avail.  So could someone tell me what I have to do to prevent just anyone from enrolling when "Self-Enroll" is enabled?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Does This Display

Re: Enrolling students

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi -

Self-enrolment is only one enrolment option. It allows students to join a course if they are interested. Optionally, you can require a 'enrolment key', like a password, which allows you to enable students to join a course if they know that enrolment key.

If you want students to pay for access, I don't think you can use MoodleCloud. There is a standard plugin for PayPal in Moodle, but it doesn't appear to be available in MoodleCloud. That was actually a surprise to me, so I've asked a question in the MoodleCloud forum. Keep an eye on that for updates.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Donald and Jon. I agree with Jon that you can set up self enrolment with an enrolment key to prevent just anyone joining the course. Alternatively you can set up Paypal enrolment and they will have to pay. To set up Paypal enrolment, log in to your MoodleCloud site as the administrator, click the Site administration link and then click Plugins and then find Enrolments. You will first need to click the "eye" icon of Paypal to enable (allow) it and then click the Settings link to set up your Paypal.

Then you need to go to the course which you want to have Paypal entry for. Click the Participants link top left and then click the gear icon top right and click Enrolment methods. You will see the option of Paypal and you can choose it there, along with the price you want.

If you don't remember how to access the Enrolment methods, here is the video from Learn Moodle

In reply to Does This Display

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I use of course enrollment key.  Try it yourself.  Go to my moodle website and see if you can access any of my courses.  I would be surprised if you could.

You can't because I have not given you the course enrollment key.