Can Teachers enroll students in bulk into a course with a CSV file?

Can Teachers enroll students in bulk into a course with a CSV file?

by Mario Gharib -
Number of replies: 8

Dear Moodlers, 

1. Moodle 3.1 (Postgresql 9.2.2; PHP Version 5.5.26) with
  2. Server RedHatEnterpriseServer 5.3 Tikanga (Apache/2.2.4) RAM 32GB; CPU 8 GHz,
How can I allow a teacher to enroll his/her students in bulk into a course with a CSV file?

As an admin, I can enroll students in bulk into a course with a CSV file.
So it is possible to give this permission to all who have a Teacher role ? 

Many thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mario Gharib

Re: Can Teachers enroll students in bulk into a course with a CSV file?

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

There is no tool to do this in courses.

You could give the moodle/site:uploadusers capability to teachers to allow them to perform user uploads the same as Managers can.  You could create a system level role with that one permission and add them to it.

But if you do so, there may be nothing to prevent a teacher from enrolling people in courses other than their own, nothing to prevent them from adding new users, deleting users, or changing the information for existing users. Definitely test what they could do.

Also, if the csv file has errors or other problems during the upload, they may not have the ability to figure out what went wrong, since they can not see all the user accounts in Browse list of users.

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Mario Gharib -

Dear Randy,

Thank you for your reply,

Actually we've found a plugin that allow teacher to enroll massively, via csv files, their students,

In reply to Mario Gharib

by Randy Thornton -

Mario,

Which plugin are you using? Is it working well?

by Mario Gharib -
In reply to Mario Gharib

by Randy Thornton -

Thanks Mario. 

Looks like a useful plugin. Hope it gets updated for Moodle 3.1 and 3.2 soon, it is a bit out of date.

by mony ong -

Hi,

I already installed the mass_enrollment plugin (currently still using Moodle 2.9)

Is there any possibility to have a sample of csv for enrolling students to a specific course?

thanks

by Hu La -

Hi Randy Thornton,

"nothing to prevent them from adding new users, deleting users, or changing the information for existing users."

What if we edit the role and set the moodle:user/delete to "Prohibit". In this case, that teacher can't delete users? I just want to confirm this action is correct?

Hao,

In reply to Hu La

by Randy Thornton -

Huy,

I said "may" originally since I was not sure exactly how much power that gave a user. So I tested how it works in Moodle 3.1.

This is what I have found that an otherwise normal authenticated user role with the upload user capability set to Allow can do:

1) Delete existing users, even if moodle:user/delete is set to Prevent or Prohibit - it still allows them to delete the accounts, so clearly it does not check for this capability in the code

2) Rename usernames with the oldusername column

3) Suspend and activate users with the suspended column

4) Set any of the defaults fields in the interface in addition to the upload file

5) Create new users 

6) Edit any of the possible upload file column fields for existing users, including passwords

So, basically, it pretty much gives them all the same power as a Manager would have in dealing with users. That' a lot of power in one capability. Now, you do need to add the moodle/role:assign to do the course enrolments too. 

But I don't see a way to reduce that basic power over user accounts and any way to prevent deletions or account changes.